S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

ESP, Torque & Acceleration Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESP, Torque & Acceleration Questions

Sorry for any NOOB questioning here but I have only had my S4 for about 1300 miles. Is the ESP on or off when the light on dashboard is illuminated? For higher performance in terms of acceleration is it better to have it on or off?

At what RPMs does the S4 deliver the most torque for acceleration?

I have noticed sometimes mine seems sluggish and I am not sure if that is the ESP, having the AC on or the RPM level when I hit the gas or I need a tune up already?

Any comments or suggestion to get better acceleration without mods?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Your answers...

When the light is illuminated, that means that ESP has been disabled. As far as acceleration, having the ESP on or off will have no effect, unless the vehicle senses wheelspin, which will not likely happen in any straigtline acceleration.
The ESP is most likely not the cause of the sluggish feeling you're getting. When ESP is activated, it's very obvious. The light flashes, the car cuts power, you will know when that happens.
As far as the "sweetspot", I'd say you get the best feeling right around 3k rpm's. Most likely there's nothing wrong with your car, it's just going to take some time to adjust and learn how to maximize the performance. You'll get it..just keep messing around and eventually yuo'll find the "spot".
Good luck with the new car, enjoy and welcome.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I am sure you are fully aware

that pretty much all of the answers can be found in the manual, right?
Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What, you don't believe me?

As I said before, when the light is on steady, ESP is off. It's Audi's way of annoying you with the light so that you keep ESP activated.

If the light blinks, ESP is activating because it senses wheel spin or understeer/oversteer (it senses yaw).

As far as rpm and torque, I'm sure the curves are out there. Do a search for that.

I agree with dubaudi1 - play around. But, take a driving class and learn exactly what the ESP does first before turing it off. Otherwise, you're asking for trouble.

Again, a "thanks" will be good enough, or don't you believe in acknowledment anymore?
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Others have answered your ESP question but I wanted to add something.

You can get wheel spin in a straight line. I have induced it in first gear and shifting into second. If you drive hard enough, it will happen (STFA for my M3 story).

I find the torque comes on pretty early, near the 3k mark. However, the peak HP comes on very late in the RPM band. If you are experiencing slugishness, try down shifting so you can max out the peak HP. I find that for lots of power, a two gear dowshift is optimal (from 6th to 4th, or 5th to 3rd. It only gives you a quick burst of power, but it is enough to land you in the beginning of the peak hp of the next gear (when you upshift).

this engine is not like a turbo engined car that flattens off as you peak in RPM, it keeps building and building to the top of the RPM range.