S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Euro (clear) headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro (clear) headlights

anyone have the headlights without the yellow stuff in it? how does it affect the auto-leveling feature? and do we still get the same beam pattern as we do on the stock unit?
Old 02-21-2004, 11:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Autoleveling appears less "extreme" in vertical movement, still present however

Beam pattern is more defined, bluer hue, and significantly brighter. Looks great.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Answers within

I had them on my car for a week or so. The auto leveling feature like stated already is apparent, but not like the stock headlights. The beam pattern is different. The stock headlights have a cutoff beam pattern that is the same on both headlights. On the E Code housings, the driver side is the same as our stock ones, and the passenger side is raised. This is to reflect signs on the side of the road better. Also, because the beam pattern is much more focused, you can see your fog lights better because the Xenon lights are projected out a little further than stock.

Hope this helps. I have my set up for sale on ebay if you are looking for a set. I also posted mine for sale for $650 shipped on this board, but nobody has bit so they are on ebay.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Answers within

i saw your ebay post. you mentioned some splicing needed. how much work is involved to do this? and how difficult is it to put these in, considering the time and know-how to take off the bumper if needed or any other steps needed?
the city-lights that are additions to the stock headlight, is this an additional splice? are these headlights not worth the money for you to keep?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Autoleveling appears less "extreme" in vertical movement, still present however

where did you get your headlight? and how hard was it for you to install?
Old 02-22-2004, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default re

I got them through a shop I know, who ordered and installed them. I originally went through achtuning, but there was a major screw up (not their fault, third party) and they forwarded me to their competitor (who's name I don't remember, but they're just as big) and they finally sent them over!

I'd go through achtuning again because of this. I believe you have to splice certain wires for them to work, so it may take some time. The tech section should have instructions on a how to install.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default More answers

There is not much needed to do any splicing. I have worked with car and home audio before so it was easy. Basically, the stock headlights have a 4 pin connector that goes into the ballast for the Xenon bulb. With my E-Codes, the driver side had a 8 pin and the passenger side had a 4 pin. I had to cut the 8 pin connector off, cut my stock 4 pin connector from my driver side, and then splice my 4 pin connector to the existing wiring in the E-Code driver headlight. You can use insulated butt splice connectors to connect the wiring to the connector. Just strip some wire, slide it into the butt splice connector, and crimp. Or, as others do, you can solder the two wires together and put electrical tape around it. You connect the brown wire to the brown, and red to red. Very easy.

As for the install, there is a website that shows how to do it:

http://www.vagparts.com/pages/NewA4_xenon_install.htm

You need a few tools to do it: A torx bit t-30 for large screws, a torx bit t-20 for ballast screws, and an extender shaft (10") to get the screws in the engine bay.
You do not have to take the bumper off. You unscrew the headlights, unclip the wiring, and slide the headlights out. There is no additional splicing for the city light, it is wired into the stock wiring. The headlights are worth the money, but I go to college right now and I don't have a whole lot of cash sitting in my account right now for the wheels I would rather have.
Old 02-22-2004, 12:18 PM

Default Re: More answers

do you know any bulb info:?
for side turning signals, corner light front and rear, high beam, fog light, and new city lights that are on the e-code?
Old 02-22-2004, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default E-Code answers

For the new front turn signal bulbs (Which is the bulb in the corner), they are: PY21W

For the new city lights, they are: H6W

High beam: Same as stock, H7
Fog light: You don' need new fog lights as they are separate from the ecode but they are H11

I don't know which corner light front and rear you are talking about so I cannot answer that.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:21 PM

Default Re: E-Code answers

thanks.

Quick Reply: Euro (clear) headlights