S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Flickering and dipping headlight

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flickering and dipping headlight

I've read about some people who have had problems with flickering headlights. I was wondering if anyone was successful in fixing the problem.

My Audi dealer says that the TSB about the issue says the bulb has to be replaced first when the light flickers or dips. Of course, that is not covered under warranty for a 2006 (it was for 2005.5). I've read about some people replacing the bulb and the problem comes back after a few months.

I suggested swapping the bulbs with each other to further diagnose the problem. It costs $350 in labor to do that and Audi does not cover it. It's $650 to replace one bulb.

I seem to have this problem every few months. Then, it goes away on it's own for a while. The last time it happened was in December. After turning the lights on for a few minutes, the headlight would start to flicker and then it would turn off. The only way I could make the light come back on was by restarting the car. A week later, the problem went away.

Last week, it started happening again. My husband noticed that if he played with the fog lights, by turning them off and on a bunch of times, he could make the headlight come back on. So, I drove with the fog lights turned off for a day. Now, the headlight is not dipping anymore regardless of whether the fog lights are on or not.

I'm not sure what to do. Is it easy to swap the bulbs yourself?
Old 02-18-2009, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Currently going through this as well...

I'm guessing that this is going to become and expensive issue for Audi so they don't want to do anything about it.

Had my '06 in for the 45k maintenance and they performed some TSB on it that was supposed to resolve the issue. Issue now just as bad or worse than ever.

Both lights are doing it and I can almost make it happen at will at this point. I have a feeling it resides in the leveling mechanism or perhaps the bulbs. Vibration or sudden movement seems to be the key. I can rev the engine in my driveway and get one to dip. If I accelerate fast and make some quick turns and make a quick stop, they will dip.

Doesn't matter if you are in Automatic or normal headlight operation. If you turn the lights off and then back on, it will clear the dip and re-ignite the dipped light. I know I will get busted for this sooner or later as it happens every morning on the way to work.

Dealer said they would contact Audi about this issue but I have not heard anything back yet.

Eric.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Same here...just hasn't happened often enough to do anything about it yet
Old 02-19-2009, 04:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Flickering and dipping headlight

I went through this, I got the bulbs replaced under warranty and it seemed to help for a couple months but then it came back. The flickering got worse and the headlights started turning off completely while driving at night. Turning the switch wouldn't fix it, I had to pull over, turn off the engine and start it again.

They finally replaced the entire assembly on both sides, and I haven't had a problem since. The mechanic had to make several calls to Audi warranty to get this approved. I suspect the ballasts but the mechanic said he suspected the "controller chip" or something like that.

More info:<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/68037.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b7/msgs/68037.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 02-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What year is your car?

I have a 2006. I believe my warranty book said bulbs are only covered for 12 months. If you have the same year, would you mind telling me where you saw the 3 places where it said the bulbs would be covered?

The dealer told me that the bulbs have to be replaced first and then we can go from there. Of course, along with that, they say the bulbs aren't covered.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Currently going through this as well...

I used to think my issue only happened in cold weather. Now, the weather does not affect it, but some bumps in the road do.

The dealer couldn't reproduce the problem. When I left there, the problem happened again on the way home. Turning the lights on and off alone doesn't fix it for me, but turning the lights off AND the fog lights and then back on temporarily fixes it for me. If I drive without fog lights, I have yet to see the problem. Although, I've only that theory for a few days.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It's in my signature...

Mine is a 2005.5 B7, the 2006 book could be different.

My warranty book says on page 3 - Six months or 6K for wear and tear items such as light bulbs (excluding halogen and xenon headlamps). Same thing again on page 5.

Then on pages 10-12 it shows a comparison of standard warranty vs. Audi Advantage, and it clearly states Halogen headlights bulbs, instrument panel bulbs and Xenon headlight bulbs are covered under the standard warranty, not Audi Advantage. It just says "Yes" without any exclusions for months or miles.

Page 13 says service adjustments such as headlight adjustments will be covered one time within six months or 6K.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Ditto......they replaced mine citing a TSB...both sides.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:10 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default I have similar issue, but

only the passenger side light dips.
I do not have any flickering; just the one light seems to get stuck in the "down" position when it goes thru the startup process. Sometimes I can fix it by restarting the car, but not always. It happens 99 percent of the time after driving in rain. After it dries out, it starts working properly again. Dealer worked on it for an hour and it has been OK since then for about 8 months. Not sure what they did other than resetting the system with the computer, but I know they didn't replace any parts.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Flickering and dipping headlight

Just purchased S4 and new to audiworld. This issue was mentioned from the seller when I made my purchase. Read through a few articles and sounds like a somewhat common problem with the headlight ballast. I had my dealership take a look at it when I got back into town. They were not able to replicate the issue but replaced the ballast on the headlight (driver's side) free of charge under warranty. Have not had the issue replicate since.

Quick Reply: Flickering and dipping headlight