S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Get out of the Left Lane! Nice stickers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Get out of the Left Lane! Nice stickers...

People from Washington and Oregon in NorCal seem to be the worst.<ul><li><a href="http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/">http://www.leftlanedrivers.org/</a</li></ul>
Old 01-22-2009, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default We've got them bad here in SoCal as well...

What especially drives me nuts is that you'll sit in bumper to bumper traffic and when it finally starts to open up there's always someone in the fast lane driving 60. Their mindset seems to be that they have as much right to be in that lane as anyone else.

They're too stupid to realize they're part of the problem by holding up the traffic behind them.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:33 PM

Default I don't agree 100%; there are conditions/caveats with this issue that bear merit...

I know some out there will not agree with me, but I look at it this way:

I like to drive fast SAFELY when I am able to, sure. (I had my Golf2 16V Turbo at about 150mph one time; custom 5th gear and almost 10 miles of straight, open highway with no one around; secret location in eastern Washington State)

And the I-80 right near my current house down here in central Cali is renowned for people hauling a** all day and night. And do I join them once in a while? Sure.

But at the same time, ya know, there's more to it than just that. If I'm already doing like 75 or 80 in the left lane, WHICH IS ALREADY WELL OVER THE LEGAL SPEED LIMIT, someone is gonna' come up behind me trying to do the bullsh*t 'push-pass' crap, riding my tail at almost 80mph? BULL%$^&amp;!! At that point, if they wanna go faster, THEY ARE WELCOME TO GO AROUND.

Tailgating someone at freeway speed in the effort to get someone out of the way so you can break the law even further is not only foolishly endangering yourself AND that driver, it is also unconscionably stupid.

If that person is going UNDER 70 (the limit around here) or under what THE ENTIRE GROUP around is doing (be it 75 or whatever), then sure---give 'em a gentle headlight flash request that they either speed up to the limit, or kindly get out of the way to a slower lane. Absolutely. I'll buy that all day long.

But if I'm already doing above the legal speed limit to begin with, and now this guy's gonna come ride my a** at 75 or 80mph (or more! have seen it) and make me out to look like I'M THE JERK because I won't get out of his way so he can drive 85 or 90 in congested freeway traffic? The hell you say!

I got into it with a guy about this about a year ago or so, just shortly after moving down here to the Sacramento Valley area. And being originally from Washington State (where the State Patrol has no compunction about arresting people who drive recklessly or at 20mph over have the automatic right to do so in that state), I was rather irate, as he had been tailgaiting me at like 75 or 80mph with my family in the car for probably 6 or 7 miles. Couldn't move over because the slower traffic to the right was very congested and going considerably slower.

And of course, when I told the guy that I had several friends who were CHP officers (as I also have back up in Washington----helps being over 20 years in the military and in a Criminology Masters program---you meet a few people in the field), and that I had the whole incident on video (which I did--my onboard roadcam was on the whole time---he quickly got in his car and took off. He knew he was flat-out wrong. And stupid.

The stuff I have seen down here in Cali since being down here is amazing. Some of it makes me want to vomit.

Driving to L.A. 3 months ago (about 6 hrs south down the I-5), a guy in a burgundy late 90's Corvette came roaring up behind me doing easily well over 100mph and cut between me and a semi---barely missed my front bumper by probably 10 inches, maybe missed the semi by even less than that, then blasted off even faster. Man I coulda' just smacked that meathead.

Again--- I like driving fast too, when I know that the only person I'm going to endanger is myself, or perhaps the one other guy on the highway in an M3 or STI or something who wants to get it on, and we're the only people within a REASONABLE distance. You bet; done it before, will likely do it again.

But make me out to be the jerk because I don't want to get out of the fast lane, when I'm already doing 75 or 80, just so this other guy can endanger other people at 90 or 100mph in congested freeway traffic? Fawgeddaboudit, pizan.

Sorry if I ranted here a bit, but this kinda' caught a nerve in me, only because I've seen it just a few too many times--of people doing incredibly stupid, inconsiderate sh*t behind the wheel down here. Gets kinda' old.

I am sure I'm not the only one on this forum who has seen similar things. Some rather experienced folks on this forum, from what I can tell.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 AM

2nd that!
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I must disagree. If there is traffic then it would seem impossible for someone to be flying in the

left lane at 80mph (at least in NY). If it is slightly congested and someone wants to pass then get over. The left lane is for passing. ANd if I am in the left lane going 10-15 MPH over the speed limit and someone comes into my rear view mirror going faster I will let them by.

You say of someone is tailgating you and driving aggressively you will not move over. This is the worst thing you can do because you are only making an irrational person more irrational. While their behavior may not be right (and is quite dangerous), why taunt it? It only makes them more irate and dangerous. I've seen people go a step further and slam on their brakes in the left lane when someone is tail gating them. And I have seen that cause an accident involving more than those two people.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry...that does not make any sense.

You need to get over.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2nd and I am glad I'm not alone, If someone is overtaking me I move over at any speed

I don't get passed very often so if anyone is closing on me fast I am pretty suspicious anyway.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:24 AM

Default Move Over! People like you use the same argument when going the speed limit.

"I'm going the speed limit, why should I move over so someone can speed?" If I am going 90 and someone pulls up behind me I get over.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This ought to really help the effectiveness of this "campaign"

From the website:

"What's more, in order for this grassroots campaign to be as effective as possible, those who display the Move Overâ„¢ Windshield Decal must be among the best examples of polite, courteous drivers.

To that end, before you purchase your Move Overâ„¢ Windshield Decal, you must promise that you will be careful to observe the driving laws of the state in which you are driving and that you will make every effort to demonstrate the utmost in driving courtesy to other drivers with whom you share the road."
Old 01-23-2009, 06:31 AM

Default Maybe in my ranting you might have missed my point, which was that

if someone is already going above the speed limit, in the left lane, I say no they should NOT have to get over so somebody else can blow by them even faster. That's horsesh*t.

That person wants to blow by at 90, when I'm in the left lane doing 75 or 80 (which is already above the speed limit), they are welcome to go around.

Remember: The issue was brought up on the basis of driver's "rights". I mean what are we going to say: "I have the right to break the law?" or "I have the right to foolishly endanger other people's lives?" Yeah----let's see just how far that one goes with the State Patrol---or a magistrate, for that matter.

Funny how when we bring the issue of the law into it, the argument seems to disappear (like with the guy I had it out with) and folks just walk away going "uh, well, you're just not cool, dude." Yeah--like it' really 'cool' to put other people's lives at risk.

I'm not talking about the issue of someone in the left lane doing right at 70, staying with all the traffic, and someone approaching from behind wanting to do like 75 or something.

I have paid one ticket since 1991. That's not because I'm any 'better' than anyone else, no---and I like to drive a bit faster sometimes, too---but I don't own the road, and I'm sure as hell not going to endanger other people's lives to have some fun. Problem is some people think it's ok to have their fun regardless of what danger or harm it causes others; or it's simply that some people don't know the difference between 'having fun' and 'getting stupid'.

Quick Reply: Get out of the Left Lane! Nice stickers...