S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Has anyone ever been to a solo SCCA race?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever been to a solo SCCA race?

I was looking at the SCCA website and they have a few solo races near me. I was just wondering if anyone has been to one and what it was like. Also if anyone is a member in Northern NJ.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I haven't but I've wanted to for a while.

Our cars are awfully heavy/softly sprung for tight autocross courses, but it would still be fun. I've heard that there is a <b>lot</b> of waiting involved at these events and I think there are only two or three sessions per driver.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have not, but I've been researching this a little bit.

FWIW: My understanding is that the SCCA "Time Trials" format for 2005 is a hybrid between Solo II (AutoX) and club racing. The classifications (I think) are going to be similar to club racing. There are like 4 levels related to the time trial program and SCCA is trying to lead folks to club racing through that system.

Once you get to "Level 3" (which is basically the time trail events), you'll need to have all the safety gear used for club racing, with the exception that they will allow a 4-point roll bar instead of the full 8-point bar required for club racing.

As for the event themselves, I believe MOST of them are interleaved with the normal SCCA events. There is a lot of sitting around. I've been told that with the old Solo I format there were warmup runs where all the Solo I time trial cars are out on the track at the same time. After that, all the participants are somehow ordered within their classes based on the practice times. Then you wait for your turn. I believe each participant got 3 timed laps in Solo I, which includes a lap to warmup your tires. I think the 2nd and 3rd laps are typically the faster laps times. And, I think, that's it. I might try it this year or next, but you sure get a lot more lapping at typical HPDE events. The plus side of the time trial events is that you are the ONLY one on the track during your timed runs. That's kind of a cool idea; but kind of eery as well.

YMMV!

Anyone with more/better info, please feel free to correct me!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Your talking Solo 1 right?

Well, they don't really have them out in the west...different groups have time trials...and of course there is Solo 2 (autocross). I prefer to SCCA Club road race. :-)
Old 03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Northwest Region SCCA is trying to kick start Time Trials this year.

Here's a link to what's going on:

<a href="http://www.nwr-scca.org/race/solo1/index.htm">Northwest Regioin Time Trials Page (used to be Solo I)</a>

I might try to make the April driver's school. I doubt I'll ever get to club racing, but this might be some fun without the commitment of (and a little less risk compared to) club racing