S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

I dont understand why Audi is not preferred over BMW and MB in the US.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resale value?
Old 06-05-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It is also the prestige factor. MB & BMW are instantly recognized and thought of as "High Class"

Audi has been playing catch up since the "unintended acelleration " problem. Even before that Audi had an identity issue in the US.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Roger that...

Only two in the garage where I work - the other one is a silver B6 S4 tip (mine is red with 6MT) that belongs to the guy who sits in the cube next to me. He used to have a 330, but after I let him try my S4 out, within a month he traded it in for the S4. Hehehe...
Old 06-05-2005, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default marketing, RWD, image, 60 minutes, resale value to name a few....but I think

the biggest factor is BMW targeted this market 10 and 15 years ago - where VW/Audi floundered here and were hurt by the 60 minutes debacle - during that time BMW grew from 50k sales a year to 200k.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What's this about 60 Minutes?
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 60 Minutes....the news show. in the 80's

they had a breaking story on unindeded acceleration by AUdis that killed people- they said the car took off on its own. we all know it was some stupid drivers that hit the gas instead of the brake and ran over thier own kid but wanted to sue the manufacturer. many other AT cars had this happen but 60 minutes targeted AUdi as unsafe - Audi sales plummeted to almost zero in the USA.
Old 06-05-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Funny story...kinda long...

I live in a small, not very affluent city of about 70k. Last winter I brought my quite dirty black S4 to the dealership to have my snow tires put on.

A couple hours later I come back to pick up my car. I pay at the service desk and get my keys and walk out the door to get my car. Immediately I notice a sparkling clean black S4 with 19" RS4 wheels and snow tires, and what is going through my mind is...that has to be my car...and they screwed up and put on the wrong wheels...and...what if I don't tell anyone and simply drive off. If they realize their mistake and call I can always say I never noticed the wheels were wrong and apologize. But maybe they'll never realize their mistake...

Then naturally I notice my even dirtier than I remember black S4 a few cars away with my standard 18" wheels and snow tires.

And all I'm thinking is, damn...not only is there another S4 in this little city, but his (or hers) is much nicer looking than mine. : )

Shawn
Old 06-05-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: I dont understand why Audi is not preferred over BMW and MB in the US.....

Status and looks. As in: Look at me, I've got an M3. Thankfully the S4 is less embarassing and less likely to be pursued by morons in pickup trucks or Mustangs.
If Audi had the cachet that BMW has, we would be paying thousands more for our S4's and Audi wouldn't be trying so hard to make their cars perfect. Rejoice in that.

If I may expound and tread on the M3 a bit. Last week I took an M3 with the competition package and 6 speed manual for a test drive and came away somewhat disappointed. Granted, this was a new car that couldn't be flogged hard (we had to keep her under 4500-5000rpm out of respect for the new engine). With its quicker steering ratio I expected the steering to feel razor sharp. It didn't. Turn in may be sharper and there is perhaps less understeer than in my S4, but I dont think the BMW is as communicative. There was also way too much squishy padding under that fuzzy suede (alcantera) covering. The gear lever action felt rubbery and vague in comparison to the S4's precise gates. It was also somewhat notchy, although I suspect this would improve as it breaks in. The brakes are excellent, but so are the S4's. The seats did not feel as comfortable or as supportive either. They probably suit overweight Americans or bratwurst loving Germans better. The interior may be more businesslike and "sporty" looking than the S4's, but certainly not as luxurious. The M3's trunk space looks like it's unfinished in comparison to the S4,s. And what, no spare wheel? It might save weight but you can always take the S4's wheel out for a track day. I missed the instant V8 torque. The M3 may be 400+ lbs. lighter but still felt a bit heavy and sluggish at low rpm. Lastly, there's the exhaust note: chainsaw staccato vs lusty V8 (even more exotic with an aftermarket exhaust system). So which is the real "driver's" car? The M3 sure is a looker though. P.S. S4's love snowstorms.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Think "DBW Issues" before DBW and the term"Within Spec"

Audi must have been feeling a little nostalgic lately, so they gave us our "issues" to bring back the good old days.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That's terrible. Audi should have sued the show, but I'd say that's all in the past.

At least with most kids I know, if I mentioned that I'd get a puzzled look from them.

Quick Reply: I dont understand why Audi is not preferred over BMW and MB in the US.....