S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

I just got a b6 S4 with 58000 on the clock, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I just got a b6 S4 with 58000 on the clock, need advice

Whats up everybody.. been a lurker for close to 10 years since I was 15 but never posted. I just picked up a b6 s4 6sp manual from an audi dealership with 58000 on the clock for 16000. I have owned a 1996 A4 in the past with help from my parents so I am some what familiar with the cost of ownership. The difference being I financed quite a bit of the S4 this time on my own accord. I have been an audi enthusiast for ever, and made a promise I would get into one when i had the means (just starting in my career field last week), but I definitely rushed the process when I saw such a low mileage example near by.

Long story short, after i parked it in my driveway i started browsing the forum and came came across some gut wrenching horror stories about the timing chain guide and oil consumption and other items.

My question is concerning the timing chain guide failures that are problematic in the 04s. I feel like i would have been prepared for power steering problems and ac compressor issues as I had those with my A4 and were the most expensive things to fix. Its hard to think of having a 10,000 dollar repair for a vehicle I just bought with some on loan. Should i just start saving for a replacement engine, or just wait until I hear the rattle and just redo the chain guides when it needs it. It seems like the price is close either way. Also any advice from experienced owners with the common repairs needed would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have one too that is stick with 51k miles and I'm the original owner. It is all stock except for AWE Exhaust!

So far the water pump went on me twice, replaced fuel filter, changed both front door window regulators, had driver side heated seat repaired, and there was a recall on the coils. All except recall and fuel filter were covered after factory warranty ended under Geico Mechanical breakdown coverage.(awesome by the way but you can only get it if you buy new, it extends factory warranty for additional 2years. This would have cost a fortune!)

I know I have to address an a.c. issue where on really hot days of long driving it stops blowing cold. Geico's warranty covered expired last March so I too am not looking forward to future repair costs!

All that said, I hate to get rid of her because it would be hard to get a comparable beast of a car for its current value. AHHH that V8 RUMBLE!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the response. Considering how yours has made out dude, sounds like it hasn't been too bad.

Mine has just got more mileage on it though. I feel like I might have just bought a ticking time bomb, although i still have my other vehicle. I figured i wouldn't be worried about purchasing it, then i got it and about had a nervous breakdown after I realized what i did.

Besides being worried about a 400 dollar a month driveway ornament, I cant explain the feeling of owning one after wanting it for so long, truly an experience to drive.
Old 02-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've had good luck with my 2004 s4 w/ tip. I'm currently at 146k miles, I do use 0-40 mobil one oil. It is important to change the oil. 5-7 k is good. I'm all original, except upper and lower front control arms/suspension. My tran is services 2 times at 60k increments. It been a good car for me, I'm an Audi die hard. I do hope to keep it for andther 150 k miles. I've done coil packs and spark plugs 2 times and normal maintenance.
Best regards!
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have an 05 with 50k miles and was just notified I need the following:

1. Valve cover gaskets (leaking)
2. Main drive belt (serpentine); requires removal of bumper.
3. Brake pads all around
4. Lower radiator hose
5. Brake fluid flush
6. Coolant flush
7. Spark plugs (might as well as I'm doing the valve cover gaskets)

All in all, before this I've only done oil changes (Castrol Synthetic) every 5k miles; so really not a big deal. Almost forgot, I had to replace the wiper linkage as well on this car.

Last edited by 2005AUDIS4; 04-01-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@ pkvoss- Im glad your's has been good to you. It makes me feel better about my purchase for sure! Do you drive it easy usually? I am hoping if i don't beat on it and let it warm up it will last longer! In fact, I am very surprised to hear that is all you have had to do. Seems rare to have an older Audi and only have to service and control arms. I am hoping mine follows suit. The Audi dealership told me their mechanics get paid per job, so they have an incentive to be thorough. I don't know if it is true, but I know it is running like a top and hasn't consumed any oil since i got it.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@2005S4- Sounds like it hasn't been too bad. I guess there are a skewed amount of people on this forum who beat the **** out of their car and post how they had catastrophic engine failure at such low mileage. It had me super nervous at first, but the more i get used to the vehicle the more I am starting to trust it.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey,

I have an 04 S4 which had 42k on it when I bought it. It now has 63k, with small problems so far. I've replaced control arms and valve cover gaskets and rear brakes. My 3rd party warranty picked up most of that. Do you have any chain rattle on a cold start? A second or less is considered normal. Anyway a good warranty will pay for itself and you will sleep better, lol. Good luck......
Old 03-03-2013, 05:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@jmurph - I was wondering about proprietary warranties. Whats a good vendor? I've heard of people buying the extra warranty and then not being able to get their vehicle fixed due to the fine print. I would definitely consider it if you have any suggestions.

As far as the chain rattle, there is none! The power steering is a little bit whiny though. I would much rather be in for the steering rack or pump than a new engine (or timing guide replacement). The only thing is, I love the architecture of the b7, b6, and b5, but anything past the B7 doesn't do anything for me as far as the a4/s4 line. So if I ever do come across the dreaded timing chain guide problem, the question is do I keep the car, or trade up and dump that problem on someone else. The only newer Audi's I like are probably out of my price range (thinking A5). Hopefully it will be a while before I hear that rattle. Is it a linear progression as far as the noise to failure rate? As in, the louder it gets, the closer I am to engine failure?

I know it doesn't make much monetary sense to spend 5k to 10k to keep a car that blue books at like 13k running. but for some reason I keep thinking I should save for a second engine and build it into a beast, so by the time the current engine fails I would have a better second option. Such a foolish thought but its loud in my head!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Jrosse, I bought my warranty through a guy named Bruce myers. Search his name on the boards. I know he used to be on here awhile ago. I'm usually over on audizine and haven't posted here since I sold my 05 A8L. The warranty is sold by a company called NAC. It's an exclusionary warranty so it tells you everything it doesn't cover. I got a 4yr/50k warranty for 3200. Not bad considering a timing failure is going to cost you 5k at least. I've also found a great independent shop with 3 former Audi techs who take care of me for 70 hr compared to the dealers 120.

So it's great you have no rattle, so make sure you use a good synthetic oil like motul 8100 or mobil 1 and change it out every 5k not the 10 Audi states. Also proper warm up is advised. Don't go over 3k until the temp gauge is in the middle and then wait 5 or 10 more minutes. Also check your oil regularly as the 4.2 is known to burn some oil. Otherwise your good to go. Take care....

Quick Reply: I just got a b6 S4 with 58000 on the clock, need advice