S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

I just got a b6 S4 with 58000 on the clock, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jmurph. I am checking out the third party warranty at NAC. I might hit up an agent tomorrow actually. I will take that advice on the warm up procedure!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just had everything done. Paid a friend of a friends who is a super good mechanic to do all the work. Was around $850 total parts and labor. I wasn't looking forward to taking the front bumper off but he did it like a pro. Hint: Helps to have a lift, like this guy...made the job go very smooth.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine is an '05 S4 with just about 84k. Bought it used in 2008 with 28k on it. Here's what I've done the past 5 years...

- condensation in headlamps, replaced o-rings
- 1 bad window regulator
- new tires every 20k or so
- coil packs replaced per recall
- new spark plugs (doing that this weekend...finally)
- replaced 1 cracked rim

I think I've been pretty lucky so far, but I can tell she's aging a bit. Shifting to 2nd gear when cold is not happy (synchros are probably bad) and the a/c clutch engages when it wants in the summer. My shop thinks I have a small leak, so I just get it refilled and it works 80% of the time. I live in the city, so the roads are rough on the suspension (try to drive around as many bumps as possible). No chain rattle surprisingly and I still have the original brakes and clutch.

I hope to baby her for another year or so and get a new one (used probably since I'm not in my 20's anymore and can't just buy whatever I want).

People still always want to race at a light - which is still fun!
Old 05-07-2013, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 04 S4 Avant Tip black on black on black

Bought used in 2007 with 15,000 miles. Audi Certified, 6y/100K warranty.
1) headlight alignment malfunction, new rear view mirror $600 warranty
2) AC compressor started blowing cold, cleaned out the little vent above the temp controls, there a little fan in there that takes in the cabin air and sense the temp, got all crudded up with dust and hair etc.. Radio Shack can of Air $5, Audi service dealer Estimate, New compressor etc $2000.. 3 years later, the compressor still running, Did get a recharge under warranty though.
3) Valve cover seals leaking $415 local mechanic, Audi $1000.
4) both Front Lower Rear control links and a right front CV half shaft with leaking boot, $522.
5)Brakes all around with rotors and pads, $900~ if I remember, Dealer $1200+
6)left front turn signal went out, Bulb housing was miss aligned on the contact, 30min of sweat equity and fixed.
7) both front window regulators, DIY, thank you AudiWorld Tech Tip $204 Plus 1:30 hours first side, 50min second side
8)Air filter and cabin filter DIY
9) many $100+ oil changes, Tires, 15-20K, this thing eats tires!!!!
10) More S than I care to remember, But I still love the car.
11) Deer shot across the road and took out driver side fender, door front and rear, Insurance tab $4500, Ded $1000.
12) wife, right Rear door molding on stone wall, WTF $500
13) pot hole in NY winter, broken rim, strut tower bushing is now cluncking,
looking at $900 for 4 VMR 701s 18" with new rubber and alignment all around $2000+

The List keeps going on and on but I'm not yet ditching the car. Love it.
Milltek Catback rocks too!!
H
Old 05-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The one thing that nobody ever says about these cars is the fact that they are incredibly easy to work on. Sure, they're complicated but they are very well engineered when it comes to taking them apart and putting them back together. I pulled the motor for a friend in an 05 with 145k to do the chains/guides and it was pretty straightforward. I'd never pulled a motor before and was freaked out by the prospect, but, no problem at all.

Get your hands dirty, you'll enjoy it and have more money for goodies.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default First time i have ever heard an Audi considered easy to work on.

Originally Posted by toitle
The one thing that nobody ever says about these cars is the fact that they are incredibly easy to work on. Sure, they're complicated but they are very well engineered when it comes to taking them apart and putting them back together. I pulled the motor for a friend in an 05 with 145k to do the chains/guides and it was pretty straightforward. I'd never pulled a motor before and was freaked out by the prospect, but, no problem at all.

Get your hands dirty, you'll enjoy it and have more money for goodies.

This dude must joking. I have some koni yellows and h and r springs I am going to install here when I get some time, as well as a wiper linkage. I wasnt looking forward to it. I would imagine yanking the motor would be a beast of a job. Good for you though.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i own and love my 04 6spd, got it with 60k, went into the dealership a little over 3 weeks ago with 136k for major surgery, luckily im still under aftermarket warranty. im getting new ac compressor, the timing chain guide problem is getting fixed, new fuel pump, new clutch, all the cv boot **** that needs tending to, all new hoses wires and belts, a few other things i couldn't remember after the next thing was mentioned. a ton of other **** is getting done as well. i saw my car yesterday, everything from the front doors forward is removed all the way back past the trans. the said its still gonna be at least another week. i drove that car all over the usa, chasing storms from mountain town to mountain town with few problems along the way. i replaced the coilpacks and plugs last year as well. other then that the car has been pretty much all i was expecting and more, i had an 01 before this car (loved it). dont get upset when they tell you its gonna be $2k+ whatever every time they need to take the engine out to do something. im pretty stoked about getting back a rebuilt engine and **** but being without your car for a month sucks. you better hope you hear those chains rattle before your warranty is up. with the warranty im still coming out of my own pocket a little over $4k for a service bill thats close to $11k. hope this helps ya get ready