S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

I know I beat this to death but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I know I beat this to death but...

I really need to decide soon whether I want the milltek downpipes or not. From searching the archives for hours, I came to the conclusion that non-res + dps for milltek doesn't make it that much louder but labree dp's do see a sound increase.

Also, I've never been extremely happy about the "loudness" of my non-res system but everyone I ask tells me that the car is friggin loud as hell. I had a friend drive it so I could hear it and I wasn't too impressed... Maybe I'm going deaf?

I wish I could wait and hear non-res+ dp's before I make the decision. But I'm out of the country and I have to order if I want it and installed before I leave home and if I don't get it done now I know I will never get it done..I know I'm keeping the car for at lest 6-7 years, so I know this is a good investment, any long term effects on the milltek downpipes? I know the longest someone has had it is probably little less than 2 years but anything?

Also, I want LOUDER more than POWER, so please reply with a YES - if it is really louder and you are stasfied with it and a NO if its not..and apparently tiptronic downpipes make the car louder...thanks
Old 08-14-2005, 04:08 AM

Default I've had both a non-res and res set-up

The thing you should know is if you decide to go one way and find you don't like it, Stratmosphere will help you out and switch middle pipes with you. I started with DPs + non-res cat back. It is loud and I was getting comments and finding myself in real life Chrysler commercials (people on the street were asking if I had a Hemi under the hood). I knew it was a loud set-up but did not hava an appreciation for how loud it really was till I stood behind my car after it was warmed up and had my friend blip the throttle. Loud,YES but a bit unrefined IMO (had a rasp to it I did not like). I called Stratmosphere and they sent me resonated pipes...the middle pipes after the down pipes. I like it much better. Still loud (especially when I stomp on it) but more refined. I still get comments about being able to hear me coming blocks (sometimes towns) away, It really delivers an exotic sound without being obnoxious but again its all personal taste wich is undoubtadely by you are struggling to decide. The down pipes do make a difference and I am very please with mine..absolutely no issues thus far. Bottomline - You can't go wrong either way as Stratmosphere will make you a happy customer one way or the other. Also, Lou's Custom Exhaust did an excellent install at a very resonable price. I know they have done at least 3 systems on S4s thus far.

Too bad you are not in the states...mine is now parked in a South Boston garage each week day.

Good luck
Old 08-14-2005, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does you car have a tip or 6mt?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM

Default I just got back from the track and saw/heard a few setups...

I have a tip w/ full res milltek. I love the sound. There was an S4 with Milltek DP's and non-res catback. I thought it was loud as mine but more "unrefined" (personal taste). There was also another S4 with a non-res cat back only. It did not sound much different then the car w/ dp's and non-res at speed but was a little more quiet at idle and driving 5mph through the parking lot. At wide open on the track I thought dp's/non-res, dp's/res, and nonres catback only were all near the same volume - just diffrent tones. They all sound WAY better then stock.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Milltek Non-Res with DPs...

My friend just had his installed this weekend. It sounds great. He has the 6MT and cruising on the freeway you can't even tell the difference from stock until you wake it up with your right foot. Then there is a noticeable difference. Outside of the car, it sounds amazing driving by.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:16 PM

6 mt