S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but, (deep breath), raced a Neon SRT-4 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2004, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but, (deep breath), raced a Neon SRT-4 tonight...

Good grief was that little thing fast. I was leaving the movie theater and saw a yellow SRT-4 sitting there, clean. I thought, 'I'll chill here for a minute and see if the owner comes out so I can toy with him.' HA!!! He comes out. Some guy probably in his 50's. I didn't think he'd play. In fact, as he was leaving onto the main road, I was about to turn off and go in a different direction. But as he left, the exhaust sounded mean, and when he hit second gear all I heard was that loud BOV "PSSSSHHHHH!!!" You could hear it from a block away. Ok, gotta get him. By this time, dude had gotten on it so I had to catch him. He saw me coming up so he nailed it. Guys, I couldn't pull on him. He kept me at arms length. I was being cautious because I have no radar detector, but, I gotta give him props.... It was fast. So, we finally got to a light and it turned red. Opposing lights went yellow, we both revved up, on green I completely shattered his world. I had him by about 3.5 car lengths, but, after a certain point, he wasn't dropping back anymore. Wow. What a little monster. If it had all-wheel drive....whew...

We stopped at a gas station and talked. He was very cool. He had a stage 2 kit but not the exhaust yet. Supposed to be between 260 and 280 hp. His power to weight is as good or better than ours. That's why he was so hard to catch. Catching him was identical to trying to catch the last M3 I played with.

Wow. What a humbling experience.

My advice... Don't sleep on those little things. If he's got mods, you might get smashed.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:30 PM

Default I am not a bit surprised at this result.

And I have a feeling that he would be just as hard to run away from out on a road track. I did an SCCA Competition class in ACR Neons and with the right suspension and tires, they are actually pretty good in the handling department. With this motor, they are a pretty potent package and very easily tweaked.

Total zilch for luxury, but a very nice track toy at a pretty reasonable price.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Neon SRT4s are WICKED fast, there is no shame +

in having a good run with a car that can be had for less than half the cost of our S4s that can run like the dickens. And, these cars are a real hoot to drive (I know, because I was considering one as a commuter car). If you're a little slow to react, one of these lil' rods will smoke you.

Mike
Old 07-02-2004, 10:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default That sounds about right, thankfully a good quattro launch...

generally beats most drivers who drops a load of rubber at a light.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No reason to feel even partially ashamed. It doesn't take much to make those

faster than a stock S4 or modified ones as well. There's a guy here running 116 in the traps with one. He even took the wing off of it to make it look more like a regular neon. I have to give it up to Dodge for making a car that you can play with in such a manner like the SRT-4. I mean, you can get over 300hp from the factory and still have warranty. Audi would burn us for just changing chips while they are getting to change tuning, injectors, etc.

As for not sleeping on the little things. That's the number one rule in street racing. Never underestimate your opponent.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Elder Member

Yup, an all around great package that car is.