S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

JDBlueAudiS4: What cell phone provider is the Audi phone or can you pick which one you..............

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JDBlueAudiS4: What cell phone provider is the Audi phone or can you pick which one you..............

want to use?

Also, how does the phone work with the car exactly? I think I remember reading something about it working through On-star? If that's true how does it use On-star?

TIA
Old 11-24-2003, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Audi currently offers 4 providers with more coming once GSM is available....

They plan on including T-mobile and other GSM only providers from what i understand soon. It uses the same wiring and settings that the assisted dialing from onstar uses and in fact the voice you talk to is the same voice as are the voice commands. You can either speak to the car and have it dial numbers for you. Or scroll through the list of entries in the phone. It is very simple to use as well as cool. It impresses everyone who rides in my car.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Elder Member

Default Re: once GSM is available....

What do you mean? Its available everywhere.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Once a GSM V60 Audi phone is availabl and no its not available everywhere...

And thats the reason i bought bought a TDMA phone for now. Much better coverage. If you think GSM is everywhere then your provider has pulled the wool over your eyes.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:40 AM
Elder Member

It will NEVER be everywhere, but what city has an Audi dealer w/ no gsm?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default im just telling you there is not a audi phone that is GSM thats all....

I do alot of traveling from philly to boston and my phone always works. My sis's and moms GSM phones have big gapping holes in the trip. I am often on conference calls during my trips cutting out and dropping calls isnt an option. Until there is national coverage I am not gonna make the switch. From what cingular is telling me 2Q04 they should have the entire eastern seaboard and thats when the Audi GSM phones are slated for release by. So then ill buy a new phone and have that be that.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:49 AM
Elder Member

Default Well..

I'm not really sure what they offer in the states, mostly because I wouldn't get a phone through a car dealer. But for the sake of discussion, Audi does sell GSM phones, maybe just not to the NA market, since Europe is all GSM. As for your family, there are phones that will go GSM/analog and GSM/TDMA. Didn't want to start an arguement with you just didn't understand what you were trying to say.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks. Now if I could only see one in action.............

I want to compare it to my cellport. It is basically hands free. The only time I need to touch the phone is to end a call. I had it in my B5 and loved it. But, I really like the idea of it being integrated into the car.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ahh your not in the US.... thats a horse of a different color then...

The US invented one good thing (GSM) and decided not to use it. Europe took it and made it great. Now we are the poor fools trying to catch up. Since we are talking about two different places our argument is obiously not valid.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default I decided to wait on this, simply because I don't like the V60

I heard from Ben Jenkins that newer models were coming out for Audi early next year. Anyone have any info on this?

How much would the cradle be with install? It's still possible to have it integrate with my car, right?

Quick Reply: JDBlueAudiS4: What cell phone provider is the Audi phone or can you pick which one you..............