S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Just switched my exhaust system from Labree to Milltek... If you're considering an exhaust, click...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just switched my exhaust system from Labree to Milltek... If you're considering an exhaust, click...

To preface, <b>this post is not intended to besmirch the reputation of any exhaust manufacturer or their product.</b> Both are great products but, in my opinion, each is better suited for a different type of owner. That said...

OK, the obvious question here is "Why?" Answer: I often have clients in my car. Very often, as a matter of fact. And while I think the Labree is hands down the most impressive and aggressive sounding exhaust, it logically, is the loudest. The volume, for me, is disturbing when I'm trying to be business-like and carry on a conversation. As much as I love the exhaust note from my Labree, I needed something quieter. If only I could just turn the volume down from 10 to 7... I'd be happy. But I can't. So, despite everyone's saying "Don't do it. It's the best sounding exhaust I've EVER heard...", I did it.

When I bought the Labree exhaust, no one on the east coast had it yet (at least that I knew of). So I had no way of knowing how loud it was going to be. It was a shot in the dark. I had listened to a full Milltek on JD's car and liked the way it sounded, but I loved the looks of this new Labree exhaust and knew of Labree's reputation for making a fantastic product. But to be sure it was going to be what I wanted, I bought it resonated with 4 resonators. Well, it still has the volume of a Mustang Cobra with no cats and Flowmasters. How this little engine does that with cats and 4 resonators is beyond me.

To compare the two exhausts:
The overall quality of the Labree exhaust system is beyond reproach. The polished stainless steel, the perfect welds, etc... it's a work of art. The 3" cats and 2.5" diameter tubing and the straight through mufflers produce an exhaust that is also second to none in flow (this is my opinion, but it is without doubt). The Labree sounds completely unrestrained.

The full Milltek system (downpipes and resonated cat-back) is also a nice system, but it is not the precision piece that the Labree is. The exhaust tone is much more subdued... MUCH more. When I started it up I seriously thought that they had put the stock exhaust back on there. If the Labree's volume is a 10 and the stock is a 5, I'd say this full Milltek system is about a 6. The car sounds restrained, muffled.

Performance:
This is all seat of the pants, but, again, hands down, my car felt faster with the Labree system. The car still feels torquey, but the upper rpm pull is reduced. And please don't think that I'm confusing noise with acceleration. I'm not one to be fooled by aural stimulation. I've raced cars for years with open headers. I know noise and I know noise means nothing, in itself. I'm hoping that my butt dyno is wrong.

Unfortunately, when I last dynoed my car it was plagued by a clogged fuel filter (I have the filter in my garage) and the numbers produced, while the Labree was on it, were hampered. I have the new fuel filter on the car now, and of course, the Milltek, so the numbers that are produced the next time on the dyno will not reveal the power difference between the two exhausts.

Milltek fans, owners and re-sellers may hate this post and I'm sure you'll flame. But I'm allowed to state my opinion. I have the exhaust on my car now and it fits my needs since I use this car for business. But if I didn't, I'd have kept my Labree system on the car.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Rodney also remember you labree had some miles on it....

where as your Milltek doesn't. My Milltek took almost 5k miles to fully break in.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 AM

Default A day late and a dollar short...

Getting my Fast Intentions catbacks installed today. Hoping the quality and sound are just as good if not better than Labree, although I didn't go with the downpipes.
Thanks for the feedback on your Labree system though.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Oh also the milltek is much louder outside the car...

the way the system is design it supposed to give a nice refined german sound inside the car and be a lot more rukus ouside the car. Case in point, Milltek on an avant sounds a lot different, most of the sound comes from the mufflers where (with more interior sound) more sounds is probably being developed in the resonators. Of course thats just a guess.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great unbiased analysis...Clogged fuel filter? Thats gotta make you feel better.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:15 AM

do you have sound clips?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yes, with Labree...

<ul><li><a href="http://www.dapracomputing.com/esfo.wmv">Right click - Save As</a></li></ul>
Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Elder Member

What are the symptoms of such?
Old 12-30-2005, 11:49 AM

You'll like it. Great sounding exhuast
Old 12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Fast intentions = Danny Labree. The product should be top notch.

Quick Reply: Just switched my exhaust system from Labree to Milltek... If you're considering an exhaust, click...