S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Laser Veil

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 11:13 PM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser Veil

Does it do what it says on the tin?
Any of you guys any experiences with this product?
Old 01-24-2006, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default im under the impression it helps but its no replacement for a laser jammer...

ie the closer you get to the laser gun and it will penetrate the spray... it definitely won't jam to gun...

so id use it in conjunction with a laser jammer for sure though
Old 01-24-2006, 07:19 AM
SGC

Default Re: im under the impression it helps but its no replacement for a laser jammer...

Accepted, but here in the UK laser Jammers are all illegal, however laser detectors are still legal, so I was just interested to know if it does give you a few seconds to respond to the alarm.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default well

the veil spray won't give you an alarm obviously and the detector is no where near a 100% lock to pickup laser targeted at your headlights...

so yes it will give you a couple of seconds for sure while its scrambling the laser from distance... but more than likely your detector won't go off anyway
Old 01-24-2006, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Veil stats. According to these tests, it does help, but......

it is no substitute for a laser jammer. If you live in one of the few states (like CA) that outlaw laser jammers, it's your only legal option right now. The tests in this link I posted show that Veil does help quite a bit in reducing the effective distance of the laser guns, but it's still up to you to SEE where the laser is coming from and slow down before it's too late.

What I'm wondering is if the coating is noticeable, or not. Is it totally clear, or does it look like you painted your headlights?<ul><li><a href="http://www.radarbusters.com/support/speedlabs-2005/veil.asp">http://www.radarbusters.com/support/speedlabs-2005/veil.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 01-24-2006, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default that is the problem

its almost useless by itself...

if you don't have laser jammers you stand such limited odds of detecting laser with a detector that once the cop gets punch through on the veil you will still probably have clue he even got you
Old 01-24-2006, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default True. Laser dectectors by themselves only tell you that you're about to get a ticket.

The V1 has the best laser detection capabilities by far, but laser detection is useless if you don't have a jammer to go along with it. I guess I'm screwed living in CA, but fortunatelty laser guns are not the primary tool used by the CHP around these parts.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default well

actually Bel has a new detector called the Bel Sti which is supposed to have the best Laser detection period...

next best would be the V1...

but truth of the matter is yeah if you detect laser 99% of the time its too late... 1% of the time you got stray laser bouncing off of something and got so lucky...

but most of the time the cop can hit your headlights/front grille and the detector flat out won't go off... that goes for V1 as well...

so like you i only have a detector and no jammers... its legal in my state, but i don't have the money... so its a slight false sense of security because i'm only half safe
Old 01-24-2006, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I don't see LIDAR being used much in CA, hopefully you don't either where you live.

That's probably the only thing saving me from getting my license suspended. It's just too damn easy to go from 60 to 110 in the blink of an eye in an S4, and I admit, I do it more often than I probably should.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default oh i can help you out there...

lets trade your s4 for my a4

Quick Reply: Laser Veil