S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

M owner contemplating switching to the dark side.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are you sure your talking about the B6 S4?

Theres really no big mods for the B6 S4 out either. Theres no way a TIP S4 can beat a 6 speed M3 unless it's HEAVILY modded. Either way the S4 is a great all season car. Just dont buy a tip S4 and expect to be able to beat e46 M3's.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:37 PM

Keyword "Hatchback" If it was a SVT sedan no way!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:41 PM
BBT
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sure, you give up a little performance, but pick up other things

Like you said, the S4 is a great all around package -- practical when you need it, very fast when you want to drive it that way. Sure it's slightly less sporty than an M3 but the difference isn't that big and who really cares? It's fast enough. In practical terms I don't really understand people's obesession with 0-60, quarter mile times, and which cars are fastest on the road. Some people with insecurities need to show off and brag I guess.

I went from a 5sp manual TT coupe to the 6sp Tiptronic S4 and it was exactly what I was looking for. 4 doors, much better ride quality, and easy to drive really fast without having to execute perfect gear changes all the time. Sure I miss the manual at times, I admit it, but not as much as I thought I would. After a couple of months of driving this car I've adapted to the way the tip works and it's pure joy to drive. I too am starting a family next year and won't need to change cars or anything.

Anyway the proof is in the test drive. try it out.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I agree! Even though I have a sedan, the Avant is more practical and versitile for a family vehicle!

It's not a station wagon, it's an Avant!Especially good if you don't have a SUV or need to travel in snow!
Old 11-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Elder Member

Default Re: M owner contemplating switching to the dark side.

have had both the 6MT and the Tip on the B6 platform. had the manual for 6 months, and swapped for auto so wife and i could switch cars as needed. she didn't wanna learn on the S and destroy it.

6MT impressions:
> feels like a beast. very easy to drive around in the right revs to always be ready.

> longer throw and mushier clutch than previous Audi (TT). took awhile to get comfortable with it.

> big complaint, and i've seen others echo it... the accelerator doesn't give up the revs right away when you release the gas. there is literally a 1-2 second lag when you release pedal until the revs let up. makes it difficult to shift smoothly when in "relax/gas milage" mode.

tip impressions:
> in regular manual mode, doesn't feel like an S. thought it was a totally different car.

> with paddles, i'm still stepping on the floor where the clutch should be. but actually really fun - especially for engine braking, etc.

> sport mode rocks! i can't believe i love letting this thing shift for me. sport is more aggressive than i drove manually. it is ALWAYS ready to go. and it keeps the engine purring like a tiger.

> milage on auto is much better (when i'm not in sport), cuz i always kept the MT revving.

so... purists will still go for the 6MT, but clutchless-manuals are the future - especially once we get the DSGs on our platform. can't go wrong with either, but i tend toward the Tip, after owning both.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps not the Tip S4.

But my manual with hyperflow and catback alone can easily pull on em. (with a passenger no less). With DP's and chip, it will be even more. Dunno what the stigma is about B6 S4's being so slow....
Old 11-16-2004, 06:08 PM

Default Re: M owner contemplating switching to the dark side.

I have had 2 M3s within a four year period ... had the 6 speed and a then a really stupid move to a "sequential" (a terrible car for normal driving).. I assure you'll have no regrets going with the S4 .. tip or 6 speed .. especially given the weather a consideration. I think the V8 is just a massive power plant ... if only there are products like doors, trunk lid etc. help loose 250lbs ... and with a little mod .. this thing would out perform the M3 anytime in all aspect ... as is in the clipping from TopGear (track time .. almost a sec better).
Old 11-16-2004, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default come on, you can't easily pull on an e46 M3...

this is such a useless argument. The fastest B6 S4's on the board are still in the mid 13's.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:21 PM

Wes would disagree, "Go ahead call it a wagon" :-)
Old 11-16-2004, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, well. There is a 4-door hatch too!

My daughter always is asking me why I got a 2-door hatch. "Uh, it looks better?" Hmmm. I'm going to have to think of a better rationale. That's not the reasoning style I want her to learn from daddy.

Quick Reply: M owner contemplating switching to the dark side.