S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

My Day at the track, thoughts feedback and yes Alan,, it's coming.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Day at the track, thoughts feedback and yes Alan,, it's coming.....

So yesterday, Kim (s4jones) and I made the trip out to PRI (Pacific Raceways Intl) aka SIR (Seattle Intl. Raceway).

This happened b/c On Monday kim finds out the Z-club of WA. had rented out the track for the entire day and supposedly had 24 confirmed cars. Well as of Monday only 1 yes 1 had paid. So kim calls me up, hey, you going tomorrow? me. to what? him, to a basically open track day. So I check the weather, and OMG! perrrrfect, morning fog giving way to afternoon Sunshine! So I call and find out it's only 12 cars at this point (ended up being 14 but finished the day with 13... cough...) So That said I make the arrangements and viola. I'm in.

FF to the track day.

I arrive at the track to see bout 8 new 350Z's bout 2-3 of them have the wilwood/nismo package 2 older ones (one that made 448 hp) ugh... on R-compounds 2 e36's, 1 C-5 on R-compounds w/ intake exhaust etc.. Kim and I. I couldn't believe it. this was going to be a LOT of track time. HOw much you ask? well here's a couple quick facts of info from my data logging...

I drove (track miles only) 258.8 miles.
My average speed on the track was 67 mph according to trip computer.
my avg. MPG was 7.5 over the course of the day.
I broke this down into 25 minute run sessions at a time but as the day wore on, I couldn't say no except to come in. check air pressure, brakes & yes tire wear!

I had a chance to get some info on what I was doing where as a point of reference (alan, I thought you might appreciate this..

End of Front Straight 142 mph. (that was my limit) not the cars....

entering turn 2 65-70 mph, @ apex of 2 up towards 75.
Entering 3a 100 mph.

Entering 5a (before I began to brake 100 mph).

Other than that I was just curious to see where I was fitting in and what my speeds were.

Pause:

Ok, so ALan, I did some 100 plus laps yesterday, 2 1/2 tanks of gas and guess what. i will NO LONGER WONDER IF THESE BRAKES are good enough. I am a believer. I pushed the car fairly hard for most of the day. I couldn't believe it. ONLY ONCE! did the pedal become super gushy, mushy and cause me to wonder (ok, there's your limit Mr. jones...) These brakes are unbelievable, consistent, solid, predictable yadda yadda yadda. Although I am still considering upgrading to a dot 4 or 5 fluid, that's it. the Carbotech pads should really make this fun!

Resume:

Kim, you did an awesome job at the track yest, really enjoyed watching you (and yes TPIWWAP) but I haven't had time to post em' so WES. they'll be on your site later today. could you email me the FTP stuff?

Funny Story:

So after the first session or so a couple people came over and began chatting with me (what's that got a turbo?) me ? no, it's stock.. with an exhaust. what's the HP? bout 360ish . they looked really really surprised. I had to chuckle, luckily Kim was with me to join in the hee hhee. they just do know do they. but not hating on anyone, but I could tell they were like WTF is a wagon doing going that fast? you can see me smiling at this point.

All in all, amazing, the car was awesome, truly a blast and definitely staying stock, well... err. ummm. Is it ok to say I WANT DP's? ;( that's another story though... I'm truly impressed with each day forward with this car and what Audi has put forth in a package. It's my 28th track event, so NO I'm no expert, but I will say I really had the best day ever at the track. Unfortuantely, i can't say the same for my Sport Conti's they are DONNNNNNE!

well gotta get some work done, but there's my story.

Kim, that was fuN! thanks for the call

Quattrofest is how soon???

SteveO thanks for the "loaner!" 6-pack coming your way.

dojo
Old 09-29-2004, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sir, Step away from the car sir.....

David your crazy.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Elder Member

Default No pulsating in the brakes?

I had constant stops from 130->40 MPH and I was getting some decent brake pad deposits. They have FINALLY worn off, but it was annoying. And my pad transfer was in the rain too!

You and I must be braking completely differently. My pads were hating the 130 -> 40 stop. Yours was at 140+!!!

Anyway, I love to hear stories like that. Makes me want to get out and run the track again. I've only been once, but definitely "infected" and can't wait for VIR in December.

Email is on it's way.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Sweet - and our Audi Club brethern wonder why we pay a premium for Proformance track days.

When Don opens the track like that it is just really nuts to try to restrain yourself. You almost have to remind yourself to come in and drink water and take a rest (and of course head over to Covington for more gas

That track has a pretty abrasive surface, so I am not surprised to hear to toasted the contis with that much driving. What did you think of turn 3a without ESP? I really like using the rotation we get to swing around that sucker in these wagons
Old 09-29-2004, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default honestly, I couldn't believe how much DIFFERENT it was.

don't like your position in the turn, LIFT, let the car rotate and re-apply gas and viola, you are back on track, it's such a wonderful thing!

never had a single issue with the 3a gig. I loved it!

although I will laugh and tell you it took me a couple 15 laps I'd say b4 I finally trusted the car, brakes, suspension. ONce I did, whoa! just awesome!

man have we got lots to talk about this car is soooo nice and better balanced, I really got to appreciate the handling, brakes and suspension on this car is soo very nice and predictable.

oh yah, I guess you could say i liked it.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks and did ya get me email bout yer b-day.

didn't wanna be the one to call ya so late!

but first round is on me... you have my word...

as for the deposits, no, none I have bout 2 mpeg vids of Kim and 15 shots 3 of which show tire wear and rotor before and after to illustrate, that's what I'm hoping to load and post to yer site @ lunch!

thx

d
Old 09-29-2004, 07:55 AM

Default And with that many laps, you got plenty of practice on how to make it dance to your tune.

20 minute sessions on crowded tracks don't really give you enough time to get the feel for the best way to exploit what Audi has given us this time around.

This is why I am so aghast at folks wanting to mess with the suspension/brakes when they have no clue how well balanced this car really is. I have done 9 events with mine now and still don't feel like I could even come close to the real limits of the critter. I have to shake my head when folks say it needs sway bars and the likes in order to handle well
Old 09-29-2004, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default uh huh,

couldn't have said it better.

now it's not to say to each his or her own, but as you know from our extensive discussions of the b5 and all that we did to it.

learning this car, truly playing with it was why yesterday was my best and most favorite day on the track. I mean honestly, I rarely saw a car on the track. to be able to go through turn 2 and lift to see how it rotates, re-apply throttle all that stuff, what a blast.

I also found out by shifting 4th and 5th at 6400 rpms I was faster down the front straight as opposed to shifting at 6800 or 6900 rpms.. just awesome to do that sort of "playin" around b/c usually we're either instructing or hoping for a single clean lap without traffic. truly an awesome time.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:35 AM

Default Re: Any DBW issues regarding throttle modulation, heel/toe etc?

I thought about heading out yesterday or today, but I've missed so much work lately for track time I decided against it.

I'm really considering leaving the BMW home and playing with the Avant a few times after reading your post. Maybe we can find a time to to take both our Avants out to PR.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default none,

nor have I ever had any issues with DBW..

but I know that'll spark an argument, but that's my opinion.

Quick Reply: My Day at the track, thoughts feedback and yes Alan,, it's coming.....