S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

NC Lemon Law

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NC Lemon Law

Can someone please take a look in their owners manual and post the address AoA gives for Lemon Law letters to be sent to. It turns out that in NC, the car has to be off the road for only 20 business days (in any calendar month of the warranty) to be considered a lemon. My S4 has been off the road for 16 now (no reverse) and my dealer is still waiting on a clutch master cylinder. If they're really lucky, they may get it finished on Friday. If so, that would be 19 days. One more day off the road for non normal servicing would make it a lemon. If they don't get the part by Thursday, then it'll happen Monday. So I need to write to AoA to make it official.

If they give an e-mail address, then please post that too. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should first contact your regional Audi zone rep and see about a buyback.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:43 AM

Default Yes, and also, there is no rush

A buyback will leave your relationship with your dealer and AoA in-tact, and even earn you favors and an apology. Lemoning the car will burn all the bridges.

Also, you probably have a whole year from purchase to act on the lemon situation if you choose to do so. You should wait and be sure that's the best thing for you. Your car isn't really a lemon, it just happens to be fitting into one aspect of the lemon criteria; it satisfies the letter, but not the intent.

If you hate it, that's one thing. If you really don't want an S4 because of the parts shortage, then you can use this to get out of it. But if you're just annoyed at the parts shortage, you're kind of cutting off your nose to spite your face. If there is any chance that after a buyback, you would buy another S4, then you should give yourself a month with it in your hands first. That will be a lot less trouble for you than going through the ordering & waiting again. When Audi does big things for a customer, they don't forget it afterwards, they consider it the *next* time it comes time to decide how much they should help you out. Don't play this card unless you're sure.

The idea behind the x-# of days in the shop is supposed to be so that if a problem is that difficult to fix, then it means the car is just a mess.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Perhaps with your local zone rep, but not your dealer...

Your dealer doesn't get "dinged" for a lemon, but the district rep will always remember your name.

Personally, when I lemoned my 1988 Chevy Cavalier Z24, I really didn't care, and further haven't bought a GM since, given what a d*ck the zone rep was.

In fact, one of the reasons I won my case easily is that the zone rep couldn't be bothered to actually show up in person but always called into the arbitration sessions...