S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Need Advice! Problem with the starter or need new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice! Problem with the starter or need new battery?

Today I've parked my car for 10min and when I tried to start it (turn ignition) nothing was happening! I was trying to press the clutch, turning key for another 10min and still no luck! then on another attempt car started up just fine!
drove home and parked, then tried again and nothing happened again! waited for another 10min and then it started... tried a couple of times again and out of let's say 30 attempts, - 5 were successful.

i had two starters replaced already but when they were going bad car was never able to start again but had similar symptoms. This time after several attempts and some waiting car starts just fine.

i'll be going to the dealer on Monday (hopefully it will start) but I'm wondering what if this is related to my battery? Battery seems to be alive (lights are working, etc.) but maybe it doesn't have enough juice to start the car? What are the common symptoms of the dying battery?
Car is '04 so I do need a new battery anyway. I'm thinking running to Strauss and picking up new battery tomorrow. Maybe it will help.
Any suggestion on a specific brand that I can purchase in the store? (No time to order online)

I can't believe that it could be a faulty starter for the third time, that's why I'm thinking it might be a battery problem, but then again, if battery would die car shouldn't be able to start again...

Sorry for the long post and many questions. Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

It could be a few things besides another bad starter. If the car cranks with no problems, not slow, or sounds like its dying, Im doubtful its the battery. It could be a key problem, the cars not reading the key so its not allowing it to start. Youre able to turn the ignition lock because its mechanically ok, but electronically its either not sending a signal, or not receiving one. Also could be a bad clutch safety switch, or yet another starter. If this happens again, maybe try starting it, then taking the key out and trying again right away every time it doesnt start. Dont sit there and hold it forward, although I have heard of this working, took like 30 seconds though, haha
Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

It could be a key problem. Take a Que Tip and really clean out all around the grooves of the key...both sides. Sounds stupid, but the key can get so much crap on it from your pocket that the car can no longer read it properly.