S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Need some help.... Acura MDX vs Lexus RX330 vs Lexus RX400h....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help.... Acura MDX vs Lexus RX330 vs Lexus RX400h....

I am thinking one of those are going to fit me best for now just trying to narrow it down. I havent driven the lexus 330 in a while and havent driven the 400h ever so I need to go drive both. Anyone have any opinions?

Also trying to decide if I want to keep the S once they get it fixed finally.... or should I really just wash my hands of it.....
Old 12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The 400h is the best choice of those three...

haven't test driven it either (test drove the RX330 though). I have the brochure at home. It's a few grand more for the 400h, but seems to be well worth it. The thing I liked about the RX series is that it drives like a car, not like a big truck. It's the only suv I'd buy (and I'm not an suv person).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default A friend of mine has both...

His wife drives the MDX, and he drives the RX330 when the weather doesn't allow for his toy to be driven. He described the RX330 as "feminine". That pretty much sums it up. It is a nice car, but.... The MDX isn't quite comfortable for him (he's a big guy), so he really doesn't drive it, and when he does for more than 3 hours, he'll complain about it. Never really heard him gripe about the Lexus though (with exception to the remark above).

Hybrids are too expensive imho. I heard a rumor that the tax laws might change (in the consumers favor) in 2006 for these types of cars. Presently you're allowed a $2K deduction. That might change considerably. I haven't verified anything though...so check on it. At the very least, if you go this route, wait until 1/1, so if there are new laws put into place, you can take advantage of them. My other concern with hybrids is what it may cost to maintain them down the road. Not that your Audi is cheap, but it's still rather conventional. Hybrids are going to be the domain of the dealers for a while. Even if it is a Lexus, I'm still leary.

On a more general note, my feeling about Honda vs. Toyota is as follows. Honda gives you a little more driver involvement and road feel, while Toyotas tend to isolate you from the road. This observation seems to hold true across their entire model line ups, including their luxury brands. So based on what you're looking for, I would let your preferences direct you to one brand and go from there.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:46 AM

too bad that it looks like a soccer mom's car
Old 12-07-2005, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'd have to sorta agree w/ you on that...

I have relatives who owns an H2, ML430 & Aviator. I've test driven them all and they all feel like big trucks. But looks more masculine like they're gonna monster truck over traffic (especially the H2).
Old 12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default There is an $8K diff in MSRP...

not sure if a change in standard equipment offsets that price difference. But $8K is a substantial difference when looking at a $40K car.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default True. Also, I read your other post...

So, is it better to buy hybrids next yr. due to some law change? I vaguely remember hybrid owners getting some kind of tax break, but don't know all the details. Like you mentioned, I guess it's $2K. But who knows how much these will cost in repairs down the road. I'm assuming it won't be cheap. But for these cars, even the RX330 won't be either.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default 2nd on hybrids. It takes driving 30-35K miles a year or many years of ownership to overcome the

high upfront cost and make it worth while. And either way maintenance will eat you if you go the many years path.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's what I gather from your posts and what I know of you...

You want the MDX. It is the one vehicle that without fail falls from your lips everytime you think about a new vehic. And you should keep your car. That's your baby. And once it's really, really, really fixed, it'll inspire those old, good sentiments again. Face it J, you're an Audi guy. )

Just my $0.02.... Oh, and I got your email. Car is going in for a few things tomorrow. I'll respond further when I get it back.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default The MDX is bigger than his RX though. aka Honda Pilot vs Toyota Highlander

So if the MDX is too small cuz he's a big guy, wtf is he doing in the feminine rx?

Quick Reply: Need some help.... Acura MDX vs Lexus RX330 vs Lexus RX400h....