S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

New (to me) B7 S4 Avant

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) B7 S4 Avant

In my opinion, the B6/B7 S4 Avant is one of those vehicles that is just so special. Don't get me wrong, the sedan is incredible too, but the Avant form factor is truly sensational. I used to own a 2004 B6 Avant which I traded in on an M3. I LOVE the M3, but I found myself constantly thinking about the S4 Avant with fond memories of a car that is one of the best examples of practicality meeting performance. So, I decided it was time to add another S4 Avant to the family and thus my search began. As many of you are aware, finding a low mileage S4 Avant for a great price is not so easy. Up here in Canada, they are still asking a hefty premium for an S4 Avant. In fact, a good used B7 example almost costs as much as the car I replaced to buy the Avant (a 2009 335d).

I searched high and low to find a great car, and I eventually found one in San Diego through Auto Trader. Specs on the car are as follows:

2006 S4 Avant
46,XXX miles
Moro Blue on Silver Leather
Tip
All options incl RNS-E/BT

I bought the car for a great price from an excellent individual named Will Costello. He is the Maitre'd of one of the BEST French restaurants I have eaten at called the Addison at the Grand Del Mar Resort in San Diego. Anyone in SoCal owes it to themselves to dine here, incredible atmosphere, service and food! I flew from Toronto to LAX and took the train to San Diego. Due to bad weather and timing, I missed an important connecting flight which started a cascade of events eventually leading to a 20 hour trip. Not fun. However, Will was gracious enough to let me crash at his place so I could get an early start the next morning to drive the car back home to Toronto.

My first stop was at DrivTech in Irvine to pick up a set of 19" hypersilver V708s. Titus Chan manages the store and runs an excellent operation. I was treated extremely well and Titus went above and beyond to ensure that I was completely satisfied before I left. I will definitely be using DrivTech again in the future.

Here are some before and after pics, which lead me to believe that I need to lower my ride....

Before:

After:

I started my drive back driving from SoCal just entering Utah the first day. The weather in SoCal was beautiful but not so pretty when I entered Utah as the snow really began to fly. After waking up the next morning and starting to drive, I really got to see some incredible scenery. Utah and Colorado are absolutely stunning to drive through and I enjoyed every minute of it. The S4 is an excellent long distance cruiser, quiet and comfortable with a nice dose of performance when you need it. My only gripe about the S4 in general is the artificially light feel of the Servotronic at lower speeds. Now on to some pics from Utah and Colorado....

Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Couldn't get over the incredible scenery...

Old 11-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Runaway Trucks = Holy $hit!

Check out this section of highway...

It may seem strange, but my S4 and I bonded during this trip, couldn't get enough of it!

Arches National Park

Old 11-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Had to stop again in Glenwood Springs, CO due to poor visibility and snow. This is what greeted me the next am....

Heading up the Vail Pass, all the trucks had to chain up!

I love how a lot of the rest stops have free WiFi!

Car is a little dirtier now...

But not for long! (Near DesMoines Iowa)

So, after 4 days, I made it back to Toronto with a higher level of appreciation of this incredible car. I don't think this car will leave the stable any time soon. I'm in love!

To end, I thought I'd post some pics of the S4 in it's native habitat...

Thanks for looking! And for those that are interested, I averaged 24mpg for the whole trip with my best range being 410 miles!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice post! I live near Glenwood Springs. Driven all of the roads you took photos of with my S4 as well. Just awesome. I like how you took a ton of photos from St George to Denver, but your next photo was Iowa! Too Funny? Nothing to see here. HA!

Sounds like a great adventure, and I agree....I drive my car exclusively on the highway and I can get as high as 24 MPG as well. Just remember in Utah, going Eastbound, you generally have a constant 25 MPH tail wind!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Jim VP

Congrats on the great ride and excellent pics. Good thing you weren't crusing at 5-6K RPM so you could enjoy the senery and get good MPG.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow 24MPG huh?

I actually just got a new (to me) '08 S4 sedan and I am enjoying it as well. Have the same style (RS?) rims as you. Getting good MPG is great, but sometimes it's fun to let it loose a bit.

And you are right, those Avant S4s are rare indeed. Especially in that color. Good catch.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Great trip in a great car!

Terrific photos. I recognize the road from SD to Colorado. Beyond that, it's not familiar but the photos are uniformly great.

The S4 Avant is a great car. I've owned a dozen Quattro's over the years, the last being an '08 S4 Avant. I think it was the last S4 Avant sold new in Southern California. It was with a heavy heart that I traded it in a few months ago for a non-Quattro car. If Audi had imported the new S4 Avant into the USA I'd have bought one for sure. Coincidentally that car went from Southern California to Canada as well, but at the other end of the country (Vancouver).

Enjoy! The car is beautiful in blue (mine was white).

DMoore
former Audi owner
now:
'09 Carrera S
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 11-24-2010, 06:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DMoore
Terrific photos. I recognize the road from SD to Colorado. Beyond that, it's not familiar but the photos are uniformly great.

The S4 Avant is a great car. I've owned a dozen Quattro's over the years, the last being an '08 S4 Avant. I think it was the last S4 Avant sold new in Southern California. It was with a heavy heart that I traded it in a few months ago for a non-Quattro car. If Audi had imported the new S4 Avant into the USA I'd have bought one for sure. Coincidentally that car went from Southern California to Canada as well, but at the other end of the country (Vancouver).

Enjoy! The car is beautiful in blue (mine was white).

DMoore
former Audi owner
now:
'09 Carrera S
'10 Panamera 4S
Nice choice of cars you have in your stable now though! Thanks for the kind words
Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 AM
TEB
AudiWorld Super User

Geez, I thought I had a long drive when I bought my car last weekend. I found a 2004 S4 sedan in KC that I bought and drove back to Tucson. Mine was about a 19 hour drive -- long, but enjoyable in a new car!

Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: New (to me) B7 S4 Avant