S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

New perspective on CPO warranties and exhaust upgrades - opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New perspective on CPO warranties and exhaust upgrades - opinions please

I know that there has been a lot of discussion on this topic, but I wanted to take a new look at the issue of warranties and exhaust upgrades as they relate to the CPO warranty. I have a fullback upgrade planned and 55,000 & 3 years left on a CPO. The CPO is a valuable thing that I want to hold on to - but I want a new fullback too - so I've been reading up a bit on the topic.

Through reading the New Audi warranty booklet and the Audi CPO booklet, I've come up with the following facts:
1. The Audi CPO Limited Warranty is not an extension of the original 4-year/50,000 mile New Audi Vehicle Limited Warranty. It is it's own warranty with new terms & conditions.
2. Exhaust systems are considered a wear and tear item and are not covered by the CPO warranty.
3. Unless you live in CA, VT, MA or ME exhaust manifolds and gaskets are only covered for 2 yr / 24,000 miles under the emissions warranty and 4/50,000 under the new car warranty.
4. Catalytic converters are covered by the federal emissions warranty for 8 yr / 80,000 miles

I might be reaching here, but this is what I surmise - Since the CPO warranty is not related to the new car warranty - then the new car booklet and the terms associated with it go out the window once the CPO takes effect at 50,000 miles or 5 years (except for items still covered such as emissions and corrosion).
Secondly - since the only covered exhaust-related items are the Cats (which won't even be on the car once the new downpipes are installed) none of the exhaust components including the manifold, gaskets, downpipes, mufflers, etc, are even a factor in the CPO warranty. This fact in and of itself tells me that a fullback exhaust is fair game for upgrades and will not affect the CPO warranty in any way. Even if the "alteration" clause is invoked, how can one argue that a set of components (downpipes) that don't even touch a "warrantied" part (remember, the stock manifolds & gaskets are not covered) can somehow affect another covered component on the vehicle?

Based on what you've read here, have read on your own and/or through personal experiences - does anyone expect warranty-related issues to arise through the installation and use of a fullback exhaust? Why?

Thanks!<ul><li><a href="http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/certified_pre_owned.Par.0013.File.pdf">http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/product/certified_pre_owned.Par.0013.File.pdf</a</li></ul>
Old 01-07-2007, 10:57 AM

I've had a fullback since I got my car and had no warranty issues.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You can interpret it however you like, have you asked your dealers service manager ?

Some here will tell you it's up to the dealer to prove the fullback caused any failure.
Good luck with that.
My dealer said to stay behind the cats..period
I may not agree, but at least I know where they draw the line.

Other dealers install Down Pipes and are fine with them.
I suggest you ask.
Old 01-07-2007, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks, but I'm getting a fullback regardless and would rather not draw undue attention to it.

I have a "fall back" dealer I can go to if after my next (&amp; last) free oil change they say something to me. It's just that they are farther away. No biggie.

I really don't anticipate any problems. I'm sure these guys aren't going to try to void my entire warranty just because my exhaust...which is an UNCOVERED item...is different than what Audi installed several years ago. Just a little paranoid (or bored on a rainy day?!?!)
Old 01-07-2007, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default LOL - unless they are all deaf it won't be long until they figure out that you have an aftermarket

setup. The fellas @ my dealership enjoy the sound of my Labree - especially in the shop where the sound really reverbrates.

I consult w/ my SA before any mod to make sure I won't have any warranty issues. I could care less about the exhaust system itself being warrantied but I don't want AOA saying that something else failed because of downpipes.

Better sound and a few hp weren't worth it to me - so I went catback on the exhaust.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: I've had a fullback since I got my car and had no warranty issues.

Have you taken your car to the dealer for any type of engine problems?
Old 01-08-2007, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Look at it like this, if someone puts a Midas on their Impala, GM won't void the warranty.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly - especially when the exhaust isn't even covered by the CPO warranty!!!