S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

It is official I am now a previous S4 and new M3 owner..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It is official I am now a previous S4 and new M3 owner..

Well I took delivery last night. I decided not to take a replacement car and opt for a repurchase from Audi. After thinking long and hard about what to do, I decided I need a break form Audi. I do appreciate all of your feedback you have given me through these trying times of Audi ownership. I also hope Audi gets their act together and learns how to treat a customer. Anyway I will give my initial comparisons of the two cars.

Fit and finish go to Audi. Interior also to Audi. Exterior styling BMW, especially with 19" wheels. Fun factor BMW. It just seems like the BMW really wants to be driven. Not to say the S4 does not like to be driven, it just seems like the M3 wants it more. Even though I am in the break-in period (once again), the M3 really does feel faster. The S4 power delivery seems to be smoother and this why I think it does not feel as fast. After driving M3 last night I now realize how the S4 does feel heavy. Compared to my old S4 the new one felt allot lighter, but compared to the M3 the new S4 feels like it needs a diet. The M3 just carves itself with much more gracefulness. One thing I will miss is the variable steering. Never thought I would like that on a car but after jumping from the S4 to M3 I do see the light in variable steering. The S4's steering feels much tighter in cornering. The clutch execution in the M3 is much better although allot heavier then the S4. The clutch is almost too heavy in the M3 for traffic. But within the first few minutes I was able to match the revs on downshift and heel and toe with ease. In the S4 I was still finding myself sometimes not matching the revs. But as we all now this is a little flaw in the S4's throttle and clutch execution.

Well all in all they are both awesome cars. I think if you are looking for a car that is fast with luxury then the S4 is your calling. If you want a fast car that is rawer then the M is calling you.

Although many headaches in trying to resolve my issues with Audi, I can now look at this as a positive experience. As I now have been able to drive, enjoy and own the new S4 and M3.

And if I had it my way I would own both, but it is just not feasible in this stage of my life.

I will post more insight into the comparison once my new ride is broken in. In the mean time take care all. I will continue to monitor this forum, and I will stick up for us Audi guys (or previous owners) on the BMW forums.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:57 AM
UrQ

Glad to hear all worked out, you will have fun ! What was your price difference, options etc.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Elder Member

Enjoy the new ride!!!!
Old 01-10-2004, 06:14 AM

Default Re: Glad to hear all worked out, you will have fun ! What was your price difference, options etc.

Thanks Anthony.

The options I got:
Silver-grey exterior, grey interior
Prem. Package
6-speed
HK sound system
19" wheels
Xenon Lights
Alum. Interior Trim

List Price $55,395
36 month lease, $1000 down came to approx $840 plus tax a month. Got for under list but not a substantial amount.

My S4 was 39 month lease, approx $8000 down for multiple securities came to $770 plus tax a month.

BMW does not offer a good multiple securities program at this time.

Hows your situation coming along?
Old 01-10-2004, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Make sure and join the M3 crew over on Roadfly...

Great bunch of folks over there, too, including those responsible for finally getting BMW to own up to the fact that owners were <b>not</b> responsible for self-destructing S54 engines...<ul><li><a href="http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/">Roadfly M3 Forum</a></li></ul>
Old 01-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cool, yep, i agree with you on most accounts ...

if i could do both, i would!

if you think a stock m3 carves stuff up, just wait until you try an aftermarket suspension setup like ground control's on the m3 ... it's out-of-this-world :-)
Old 01-10-2004, 07:26 AM

I probably will. Just beginning my research on aftermarket goodies for the M3.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:29 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure thing.
Old 01-10-2004, 07:32 AM

You have any mods?
Old 01-10-2004, 07:34 AM
UrQ

Default Well since we last talked

The car is back in over the holidays for waterpump, that was fixed picked it up on the 31st, then dropped it back off on 2nd with more leaks. Its seems to be the block (water jacket) and they are going to try to "repair" w/o replacing block (or engine). So its been in the shop like since the 15th of December (except for the 2 days that I drove it back and forth to the shop). So I'm well over 40 days (given up count).

I have a replacement on order (with extra options and extra warenty), but looks like its going to be 3-4 months. So I may look at a RS6 (not what I really want) but don't know if I can deal with the extra costs. I did not go lemon route as AoA made the replacement offer before I had to do that. So I get to drive my S4 milage free until new one comes in, the issue is that its still in shop and I have a loaner (CVT) which is no fun, I have taken over the Allroad we have and my wife is not happy about that as she get loaner, so she has an insentive to bug AoA/Dealer for better loaner or get the new car in faster.

I would go for the M3 but not what I want, looking for a performace based 4 door wagon. I may be able to give up the wagon part but not the 4 doors.

So it looks like you got a great deal all around, just a lot of pain.

Quick Reply: It is official I am now a previous S4 and new M3 owner..