S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Oil Consumption test by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 08:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption test by dealer

I went to my dealership at Brookline Audi because of various issues. But one of them was I noticed extremely high oil consumption. So they topped of my oil and they said come back after 1000 miles or if the oil reaches the low point on the dipstick. Before I left, I had the manager look at the oil level on the dipstick. I noticed that the oil was above where it said the max level was supposed to be on the manual. The oil was well above the plastic part above section A in the manual. Considering this is an oil consumption test, shouldn't this have been looked at more carefully? And second, didn't the manual say never have the oil above section A on the dipstick. Your input is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That dealership has a horrible reputation...

I'm not surprised if they overfilled,either to skew the results or just plain stupidity.
A little over is ok, a lot over is not.
I would run from them, Clair Audi is less than 10 miles away in distance but Worlds away in Quality.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I think the dealership might be trying to pull a fast one on you.

If you do have an oil consumption problem, the rectification is either to rebuild the engine or replace the short/long block. BIG $$$$ for Audi. So if they overfill the crankcase at the beginning of the test and it comes back in 1K miles and the level is above one qt low, they will say that it falls within Audis acceptable limits. Therefore, no remediation is necessary. Did you actually observe the oil level when it left the dealership at the beginning of the test?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Re: I think the dealership might be trying to pull a fast one on you.

Oh, the dreaded "falls within Audi acceptable limits". He is now on the infamous VAG oil consumption monitoring program.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Easy fix.

Seems the dealer is acting in a obvious attempt to blur any potential oil consumption issues.

I'd take a picture of the level now, and take a copy to the dealer to place in your file. This puts them on notice that you have indeed marked the spot.

I'd use an oil evacuator to get the oil at the right level, drive for 1k miles, and bring the car back in. The level will be lower due to teh fact you removed some to get it at the proper level. You'll need to check how far it went down past the "normal" level, and should be able to see any additional loss.

I'd keep an eye on the oil in between, and I'd drop the lower engine cover, and check for any oil spots. Also, get a flash light, and take a look around.

While I now use an oil evac to change the oil, I still pull the pan, bececuase you can see a lot underneath, and I can spot any potential issues long before they become critical.

Oil leaks/excessive sonsumption can be tricky at time to find. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yes I verified it with the service manager himself. Him telling me it's ok was weird.

If they told me before they did the test that they would carefully fill the oil to the correct level, but they really didn't. I find it quite deceiving. Glad I asked to check the oil with the service manager before I left the dealership. I'm very annoyed.

I actually also went there for the starting problem for my car. They installed 3 LED's on my dashboard which tells you when the clutch is in, and when the key is turned to start the car. They had my car for 1 whole week and the car still doesn't start. I think I'm going to ask for my money back because I've had so much problems with the car even though it's a CPO certified audi in Brookline, MA.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default By the way... my car didn't start this morning either. Can't believe that they've had a week....

to look at my car and did not figure anything out. Well like many people on this board has posted, it's probably the starter solenoid. While they take out my engine to replace that part they should fix my oil consumption problem too!

There are so many things I love about this S4 and so many things that I HATE!!!! I travel lots of my job so I don't have time to deal with this problems and send it back to the dealership. They do something about it or I'm demanding a full refund back. Drove an E46 M3 today and was glad to hop back into my S4. Feel more torque!! Of course a ride in the new M5 was completely different. Well then again so is the price. Thanks guys for all your help.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks..... for your help