S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Ok, help me out. So on 2 occasions I start the car, it starts to shake, the CEL flashes, and I'm

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, help me out. So on 2 occasions I start the car, it starts to shake, the CEL flashes, and I'm

like WTF!!!!!!!!!! BUT, when I turn off the car and turn it back on, it goes away.

ANYONE else experience this and if so, did you take it to the dealer to get it checked out. If so, what did they say? TIA.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Probably a bad tank of fuel...

This happened to me and some others on the board. After taking it in, the dealer identified several misfires on the computer but thought it was OK. Problem went away for me, never to return (so far). However, if the CEL stays on or it continues, definitely take it in.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:07 PM

Default yep...

Same thing happened to me. On the 3rd time, the CEL was solid. I took it to the dealer and they called the AoA rep (it was 1700mi i think) and they drove it around some. All in all, it was cylinders misfiring. I haven't had any problems yet. It may either be bad gas, turning the ignition key to slowly, or just a bad start. If you search the forums, I posted a link that lists all the Vag diag codes. I would be extremely curious as to what you find since nothing happened on my end.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Something similar happens to me intermittently

Every 3rd or 4th time starting the car, and sometimes not for a day or two, it'll do that. No CEL light (don't even know what that is). I took it to the dealer. They had the car for 2 days trying to find it. No codes came up and OF COURSE the car wouldn't do it while it was there. I got it home and two days later, same thing.....

WTF x2
Old 04-12-2004, 04:24 PM

Default do you use 93 premium?

I can't find a sunoco in my daily route to use ultra94. I am using 93premium from either amoco or mobil. I at least try to goto gas stations in nice neighborhoods rather than those in bad neighborhoods. It has been almost 1000mi since the last CEL and no probs yet. I always let it warm up in D then shift to S and have some fun. I also wait at least 2min before turning the car off. Hmmm... Maybe people are driving their cars to hard? I don't even think I scratched the surface with mine hahaha. No ESP light, hit only redline once, and mostly speedlimit driving and launching from red-lights unless the fuzz is nearby.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Elder Member

Yea. Time to worry is when the CEL flashes. Doh!
Old 04-12-2004, 04:35 PM
Elder Member

Default Hmm...I've had some rough idle on certain occasions. Never related to starting the car...

but happens most often when I just come to a stoplight. I'll feel the car vibrate and know it's engine related, that's when I check the RPMs and see the idle dipping a bit. Nothing to be concerned with, I'm sure. Give it a little gas and it goes away, even when I lift to idle. And it doesn't happen every time. I'm wondering if it's related to a certain brand of fuel.

I've been using a no-name station for my gas, but I think I'm gonna start using Shell or Exxon again.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Accidentally used 87 once, full tank, no CEL no problem,

Car did shake once after warm up and driving 4mi while stopped and waiting for the light to change had 93 in tank from 76 or Citgo. Hasn't reoccured although noted some minor rough idling. When stopped it feels like a missfire in a cylinder, slight powerloss and then normal again. Like if your heart skips a beat, gets your attention and back to normal.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:41 PM
Elder Member

Default Hey Allan, we just posted about the same thing.

I actually vag'd my car to see if it had any codes, but no misfires.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Also, unrelated, how many miles on your car? When was the last time you got an oil change?

You might want to before the Rock this weekend. Also, are you interested in joining me at SEMAG on Saturday? I'll be in Charlotte Friday night, and then Saturday morning I'm meeting up with a bunch of BMW guys that are driving down to GReer, SC where the BMW plant is. There's going to be a bit of a car show, and then we'll go on a nice drive. they have requested that the "Audi Wagon" make an appearance, and I thought it would be VERY nice if we bought both of ours. ;-) Let me know.
Then, I'd stay in Charlotte Sat night for a nice day at the Rock on Sunday. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Ok, help me out. So on 2 occasions I start the car, it starts to shake, the CEL flashes, and I'm