S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Opinion on Warranty Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on Warranty Coverage

Anyone ever have a rattle diagnosed under warranty? I have my S4 Cab in to check out a rattle coming from the headliner in the folding top that's driving me nuts. According to the dealer they believe the source of the rattle is a cable hitting one of the cross members and that it needs to be re-insulated. I am still the original 4/50,000 factory warranty yet they are saying it's not covered. They are capping the charges at 1 hr. but if brake pads are covered under the warranty and they are a wear/tear item, shouldn't something like this be also?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Opinion on Warranty Coverage

I was told there would be a charge for repairing a rattle unless it was caused by a defective part covered under warranty.

I also had a noise from my convertible top which I decided to diagnose myself. I wouldn't exactly call it a rattle; it was more like a chirping or squeaking sound. My noise was on the driver's side under the plastic cover on the front edge of the top. I could lower the sun visor, push hard on the plastic cover and the noise would stop. I took the cover off and corrected the problem. The cover is connected to a crossbeam with metal clips. I determined that the noise was caused by movement of the metal clip in the metal slot on the crossbeam. I applied a coat of high temperature grease to the clip and the slot and this eliminated the noise. This was a couple of years ago and it hasn't been back.

I thought I would tell you about my convertible top noise just in case you might be experiencing the same problem.

Porsche_Joe
Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks Joe

This rattle was different that the one you experienced, it was right behind my left ear. Thanks for the tip on your repair, I will now know what to do if that issue pops up.

My dealer basically said the same thing as yours in that if the rattle was related to a mechanical issue it would be covered. They also gave me the costs up front and asked if I wanted the work done, so there was no ill intent. The good news is that they fixed the rattle and now my S4 feels and sounds as tight as I have come to expect from Audi. $130 is a small price to pay for one's sanity! Best to you.