S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Ouch! Harshest review yet.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick counter point on the fuel consumption........

21.1 mpg is based upon U.K. gallons which are larger than U.S. (U.K. is 20 fluid oz. per pint). By my math, that translates to 17mpg or less in U.S. gallons. I get 18 to 19 out of my B5 S4, so WTF I can handle that for a V8 with 90+ more bhp.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Ouch! Harshest review yet.

As a limey who owns a B6 S4 Avant I think I can shed light on the negative reviews in the UK.

For more years than I can remember motoring journalists in the UK will only give a good review if they can get the car sideways and make lots of tyre smoke - all at the expense of the importer! An S4 just doesn't fall into that category - it will get you, your family (and your dog if it's an Avant) from A to B very quickly and comfortably and whatever the weather, without you needing the driving abilities of Kyle Petty.

I suggest you do like most of us limeys - ignore most of the car journalists opinions and trust your own judgement about what's important to YOU. I don't regret buying an S4, and would never ever consider an M3 (RANT WARNING .... as well as the issues about the car, here in the UK the image of BMW is soooo bad - only drug dealers and the like buy BMWs, and BMW UK like it that way).
Old 07-23-2003, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ahh my mistake

I thought they in "MPG" they were basing it of true gallons. But like you I Can live with it as well for the extra power
Old 07-23-2003, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Great Quotes: "Time and time...............

again Audi has raised hopes and expectations with its beautiful and beautifully engineered sporting cars. They never lack power or grip yet, without exception, they have failed to offer drivers the same pleasures as a BMW and, these days, an equivalent Mercedes. "

"This is no drivers car"
Old 07-23-2003, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default The new issue of Sport Compact Car.....EVO vs. M3 vs. S4 vs. C4S

I think they also ran around mid 5's on the new S4....article overall was (AS USUAL) very complimentary of the interior of the new S4 - but overall quite negative. I really don't buy the 4.99 crap........This thing is a TANK.......

All in all I've seen only one (0-60)time close to 5 seconds and in all other reviews......(Top Gear, EVO, CAR, Automobile, MotorTrend......etc.) mid 5's.
Old 07-23-2003, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Mid 5s isn't up to par with the M3...

I find it funny how (euro model) M3 has 343 hp and the S4 has 344 hp.

Instead of being in a silly hp battle, they should've actually given a faster product...
Old 07-23-2003, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: They say 0-62 is 5.8, motor trend say 0-60 is 4.99....

Guys, being a Brit in the USA, I follow cars I'm interested in, both in the UK and here. Particularly with Audi, they tend to lower the gearing when they bring the car to the USA. They believe that US customers are more interested in the feeling of torque off the line, and are less interested in being able to cruise at 150mph. That, plus the fact that all cars in this class have a 0-60mph time that is about 0.3s faster than their 0-62mph (0-100km/h) time results in much faster times recorded here. I believe the final factor is that C&D and R&T both tend to try to squeeze the fastest times possible from their test cars, at the expense of the clutch, transmission and tyres (sorry, tires), whereas the UK mags tend to like to record real world times without sacrificing those parts. The bottom line is that a normal driver, not beating their 2004 S4 V8 up too much, should achieve a time in the low 5 sec range in a US spec car. Trust me, an M3 driver will have trouble beating an S4 driver without looking like he's trying much harder. The S4 will be able to win the race without bringing attention to itself. For me that's worth the price of admission.

Happy V8 motoring.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:24 AM
Ash

Default Mercedes??? Driving experience??? Please...

...BMW is at the top of the spectrum of these three for driving feel/experience. Merc is at the luxury end, with Audi being in the middle.

This is the first mag that has said otherwise...

Ash
Old 07-23-2003, 06:34 AM

Default "Audi expects the Avant will be responsible for the bulk of S4 sales."

is this really true? Surprises me for some reason. How has it broken down in the past, does anyone know?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think April (VerdeGrl) once said Audi traditionally buils 8 sedans for every 1 Avant ...

... so I have no idea where the (the magazine) comes off saying that the Avant will be the bulk of S4 sales.

Bob K.

Quick Reply: Ouch! Harshest review yet.