S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Performance vs. All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance vs. All Season Tires

Has anyone had experience driving with both performance and all season tires on their S4? I plan to use mine for snowboarding in the winter and was curious how badly it would handle the snow with the stock tired. Also curious how much different driving/handling is with all season tires. I've seen some older posts recommending Dunlop M3's. Any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I replaced my stock Contis(performance?) with all season Contis

I am completely happy with the all seasons. Unless you track the car, for me the all seasons are a no brainer if you encounter any type of winter weather. First, in normal street driving, the all seasons ride better, wear longer, and cost a lot less. Granted there is a sacrifice in performance, but that has little bearing if any on day to day street driving. The stock tires are a NO GO in snow an are actually dangerous, The rubber compound used in summer tires turn into the consistancy of a hockey below 40 degrees F. You will get around fairly well in the snow with all seasons if you don't encounter large acumulations of unplowed snow . Many on this forum favor the 2 sets of tires and wheels aproach which is actually the best way to go for the ultimate summer and winter set up. But for me, the all saesons work just fine since I don't need either of the extra capabilities of the dedicated summer or winter tires. Plus I lease and dont want to buy an extra set of wheels and want the longest treadlife I can get within reason. Btw, if your do go with all seasons, get either the Pirelli P zero neros M+S or Conti Extreme Contacts (which I have)
Old 06-03-2006, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I went the two tire route

If you don't drive in any serious snow, then all seaons tires will serve you well enough. I encounter occasional severe weather and as I am on call, I HAVE to be able to get in to work.

I use the stock tires (Dunlop) in the summer and have Dunlop M3 Wintersports for the winter months. The car is unstoppable with dedicated snows and quattro. The effortless ability to traverse snow and ice with near normal traction and directional control never ceases to amaze me. This past winter, I encountered black ice, I guess. I make that assumption based solely on my observation of the the uncontrolled sliding of lesser equipped cars. I literally was slaloming around them as they slid into one another. It was surreal. I also had an Audi previously and had it equipped with all season tires (Bridestone RE 960, I think). Nice enough tires but they cannot compare to true winter tires. My Z4 roadster with dedicated snows has better winter directional stability than my A6 had with all weathers. That said, I have heard good things about the Pirelli tires Dr. GP mentioned.

I also second his point. Do not even think about trying to negotiate any real snow or even cold rain with the summer tires. You will crash.

If you only encounter light snow, then all seasons are okay. If you drive in real snow and/or are unwilling to give up summer performance and traction, go for the two wheel and tires setup. For about a grand you can get a set of cheap and not-ugly wheels and tires that will last for three to four seasons of average use. As for the lease issue, it has been my observation that I tend to burn through one set of summer tires and one set of winter tires in a 36K miles lease. If they are really high performance summer tires or I have a 45K mile lease then I need two sets of summer.

BTW, I think DrGP has some conventional 4x4 at home for the really bad snow, if I remember a posting of his previously. My S4 is my bad weather car. I don't have an old Tahoe lurking out back for those days, nor would I want to.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are the M3's dedicated winter? Or are they all-season? How do they handle in dry conditions?
Old 06-03-2006, 06:04 PM

Default Re: I went the two tire route

"I literally was slaloming around them as they slid into one another. It was surreal. "

says bludgeonator...

I too have experienced this 'parallel universe'; gliding along through a foot of snow with ease while all other vehicles are stalled or as they skid into the ditch. I've gone the dedicated summer and winter tire route and, as others have stated, that is the way to go if you think you'll encounter some serious winter stuff.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:58 PM

Default IMO, two sets of wheels and tires is the way to go, especially if you're boarding.

When you get dumped on in the winter, you're gonna be the first one up for some nice fresh powder. This means probably unplowed roads.

Having then winter tires mounted on separate wheels saves you time and money in the long run. I just switch mine in the garage twice a year when winter comes in and out. This also means you can run 17s in the winter, which means cheaper tires than 18s. (Also I recommend 225 width in winter)

Both Dunlop Wintersport M3 and the Nokian WR make good high performance dedicated winter tires. (not quite as good on ice as a softer compound winter tire, but much better than no seasons, I mean all seasons)
Old 06-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Banned

Default You would be correct about me having a 4x4 at home. But

The past 2 winters in the NE have been so mild that the S4 could have been used all winter with all seasons . I tend to leave it in the garage when the weather is bad due to the excessive cindering that goes on in my locale.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:46 PM

The M3 are performance SNOW tires. They do fine on dry roads but but summer tires are better
Old 06-04-2006, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Snows for the winter are much better....

Talk to Esfo on the B6 forum, he drove my car (during a snow storm) and said the difference was quite remarkable. (he had all seasons, I had snow tires which were three winters old)

You can get B5 S4 knock off wheels for dirt cheap. 35mm off set will alow them to clear the calipars. You can can also get away with 205/50 series snow tires which are even better since they're narrower.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agreed...A/S tires are a compromise for both seasons. You have summers now, which is best, so...

stick to the formula and go best for winter.
Once you've experienced quattro w/dedicated snow tires, you wonder why you even questioned the use of A/S.

Furthermore, if you are indeed going to "Snowboarding Country" then the choice is simple.
BTW, Dunlop WinterSport M3s are the Cat's Meow for our sleds in the winter.
Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Performance vs. All Season Tires