S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Possible transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible transmission problem

This is going to be a rather vague description, but maybe someone knows something about it...

B6 S4, 6spd. During any kind of mildly hard acceleration, shifting causes the car to jerk, and it looks and feels like the shifter is thrashing around pretty good, almost popping out of gear. This started happening yesterday immediately after a slightly hard launch. It really was pretty tame, RPM not all that high, just let the clutch out quite suddenly. I've also noticed it has done kind of the same thing over rough road a time or two, though not at all as severe. My first thought was a broken (or loose) transmission mount of some kind. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. So... ideas?
Old 04-15-2010, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

i replaced my differential mount with an aftermaret one avail. from JHM motorsports. it helped take out the thrashing and slop...big time.

just a thought.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I would like to know if you found out what the issue was... I am having the exact same situation. I'd like to know where to start looking, and if you figured it out already I'm sure it will get me in the right area/direction.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmcm
This is going to be a rather vague description, but maybe someone knows something about it...

B6 S4, 6spd. During any kind of mildly hard acceleration, shifting causes the car to jerk, and it looks and feels like the shifter is thrashing around pretty good, almost popping out of gear. This started happening yesterday immediately after a slightly hard launch. It really was pretty tame, RPM not all that high, just let the clutch out quite suddenly. I've also noticed it has done kind of the same thing over rough road a time or two, though not at all as severe. My first thought was a broken (or loose) transmission mount of some kind. Maybe that's just wishful thinking. So... ideas?
Been there broke that! Due to that your car is lowered the axles are cocked putting extra stress at the cv joint ends when you launch your car. After your last launch one of the axles is now twisted and bent. You should be able to see which one it is if you get all the wheels in the air and watch the axles turn OR keep launching it until it snaps. I've done it twice