S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Repost: GIAC Flashloader now available for B6 S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well based on the compression ratio our car has....

we are technically not taking advantage of that compression until about 105/106 octaneish. While your not talking about a large ammount of power, but I assume if you can acuratly map the behaior the rest of the car should have under the conditions that the compression and octane allow for and thus produce more power. While I dont see a large gain in power, every little HP counts though. If race gas gets us 5-6WHP over 93 then its worth it IMHO as long as it doesnt have any negative effects.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:55 AM

Default Back to "Few questions" Todd....

When switching back to stock program, can the dealer detect this new software via the flash counter? Or by any other means? Thanks
Old 09-21-2004, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What happens if dealer re-flashes the ECU for whatever reason?

Will I have to pay again to get it flashed with GIAC code again?

If I have performance and stock programs, and stock one is selected before the dealer visit, and dealer re-flashes the ECU, will both programs be erased, or just the stock one?

What about incremental GIAC updates - how are those going to be handled?

TIA!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Few questions...

<i>So, for the initial part, we have to bring our car in to have the program put in? Then, if we buy the flashloader with the correct programs, we can switch back and forth as we like?</i>

Correct.

<i>If we switch back to stock, will the dealer be able to tell that we had a different program running? </i>

No. There are no codes or other evidence left behind during the flashing or switching. The "Flash Counter" which logs how many times the ECU has been flashed is left at the same number as before the flash.

<i>Lastly, does race gas even help our cars? I know if helps turbos, but I didn't think 100 octane helped us out much. That would make the race mode unusable.</i>

Quite the contrary. One of the only ways more power can be extracted from a non-turbo engine is by advancing the ignition advance (amount depends on the engine design). However, you are limited to the ignition advance amount depending on the octane used. Higher octane allows more advance which equals power (simplified explanation).
Old 09-21-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Answers:

The Flash Counter count remains unchanged after a GIAC chip program upload or program switch executed by the switcher.

The only way that a dealer can detect that the ECU has been "tampered" with is if the version number of the stock file flash loaded in the ECU does not match the number written on the outside of the ECU case, and they have no record of the stock file being updated at a dealer.

However, since that would actually require the dealer to remove the ECU from the car to find this mismatch, the chances of detecting this mismatch are very slim. This is a "shortcoming" of all current aftermarket flash methods.

Just the very plain truth here. But no need to worry about this.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:16 AM

Default You get reflashed for free.

Each time a car is initially flashed by a GIAC dealer, a unique record is logged at the GIAC central server. This way we can tell if indeed your car had been legitimately flashed in the past with GIAC. That earns you unlimited free reflashes in the case of a dealer overwrite.

Even if you are in stock mode when visiting the dealer, all programs will be overwritten if the perform a flash.

Updates are handled the same way.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Are updates free of charge as well?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Will you check AutoSport Werkes "sp" in Colorado?

I don't have a favorite, but they are the only ones I trust in this state. Thanks!
Old 09-21-2004, 08:30 AM

Yes, to original purchaser.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 AM

Default Re: You get reflashed for free.

Does this reflash require a return visit to the original installer though?

Quick Reply: Repost: GIAC Flashloader now available for B6 S4