S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Review of the new Falken Azenis RT-615 (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default From what I'm told by Hoosier and other more experienced drivers, tires cool down rather fast...

I was told to have an accurate tire temperature reading that a cool down lap and basically what you did was a no, no. Basically you have to come in to where you take your temps (pit area) as fast as you can without cooling down the tires.

Personally, I find it hard to believe that your tires were only in the 130 F range. Either they cooled down a lot or you were not pushing the car enough or the Falkens run super cool.

I also find hard to understand why they are so even across the whole patch, especially with a stock suspension setting. Again waiting after a cool down lap and perhaps up to 4 minutes to take the temps as something to do with it. Because you are not pushing the car and tire to their limits on the cool down lap and driving to the spot where you took the temps, the hot spots have the time to cool down to a more reasonable temperature.

As an example, my Hoosiers (autocross type) will climb to 165-170 F during a 45 second run! They will be within the accepted (by Hoosier) 10-15 degree F temperature spread across the patch.

I would suggest you take your results with a grain of salt. Not trying to be negative here, just want you to be aware of what I've been told and seen at the track. If you can do it again, take a note of the air and track temperature. Remember, try not to do a cool down lap, exit the track as fast as you can and have someone right there at the exit point take the temps (needless to say, in a safe spot).

If after all these steps have been taken and your temps are still OK and low and the spread across the tire patch is even, then congratulations to you and Falken. One more thing, if you can find out from the manufacturer what this tire's optimal operating temperature range is, that would be great.