S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

RNS-E Firmware Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RNS-E Firmware Update

This will update current NA version 0150

The zip file that you download contains more files than you need. YOU ONLY NEED TO BURN THE FIVE FILES LISTED....for those who don't already know how, here's how to do the update if you are currently running US SW:

1) Download the .zip file from that website above
2) Unzip the files
3) Burn the following files on a CD-R, ISO 9060 at a slow speed and make sure to Finalize the disc

INDEX.TXT
LOADING.KWI
LDM.BIN
00.VNS
xxxxxxxx.MOT

4) Stick update CD in RNS-E, wait a few minutes and it should start the update automatically.

I don't pretend to know that much about the RNS-E, so do this at your own risk.<ul><li><a href="http://thecarpentiers.homelinux.com/share/US_0200.zip">0200 Update</a></li></ul>
Old 09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you have an idea what is included in the update? TIA
Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Do you have an idea what is included in the update? TIA

Minor stuff, apparently it calculates the NAV route gudance better, POI, and phone functions. This is the firmware included in AUDI 2008.1 Nav update. If you go to choose what POIs you want to display on the map, there is a new option, which is COMMON DESTINATIONS with a red square as the picture. It seems like this puts all of the PREVIOUS DESTINATIONS on the map
Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Didn't work for me.

I tried just the five files. Process started as expected when inserted, but then after the progress bar got about 10% it switched to a series of characters from some asian language (not sure if Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc). Then it rebooted and started over. It repeated this process several times until I was able to get it to eject the disc.

Tried it with all the files in the zip, and it just said "Please insert the Navigation DVD" and never started loading.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Didn't work for me.

Use Nero or similar burner, burn cd-r at slowest speed, MAKE SURE YOU FINALIZE, I did this last night, the first time I didn't finalize and nothing happened, after you insert the disc, it takes approximately 70 seconds to start loading.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'll try again, but like I said it started, just failed partway. I did finalize.

And I did choose to encode at the slowest speed.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You won't notice any differences at all. I've been using it since it came out and travel....

9-10 months a year and I haven't seen anything new even in the map area.

It doesn't hurt to update it so if you can get the files then why not.

If someone wants the files email me and I'll get them to you.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks again. I'll give it a go.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Do you have an idea what is included in the update? TIA

I just installed the update (worked fine, btw), and the immediate two things I noticed was that pressing the small **** doesn't turn the display off anymore but just mutes the sound, and there doesn't appear to be any startup nag screen anymore. They may have just changed the behavior of it to not pop up as much though, instead of getting rid of it all together. I'll know for sure if it doesn't pop up when I drive home this afternoon.

I was hoping it would improve SD card reading behavior, but alas that appears to still suck badly.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Those items both appeared in the previous update. They aren't new.

And yes it will prompt you with a warning if you try to enter info while under way.

Quick Reply: RNS-E Firmware Update