S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

RNS-E and Phatbox

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RNS-E and Phatbox

Hey folks,

Can anyone enlighten me as to how the two interact? Is it the same as with the regular Symphony headunit or will the Phatbox take advantage of the LCD?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You need a special cable to hook up to the Phatnoise.

I've done it, and there was a guy here who use to make up the cables.

If you go to the Navplus forum, you may find some others that can sell yoou the cable.
very easy hook up, just plugs into the RNS, and runs to the trunk and the Phatnoise.

Love mine, good luck.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You basically need to get the CD changer wiring harness from the dealer or wherever is cheapest..

You'll need to run that cable from the back of the head unit to where you want to install the Phatbox. I put my Phatbox in the rear left side of the car in the spot that normally hides the CD Navigation unit. Some people have put the Phatbox in the glove box, but I really didn't see the point other than it was easy. Plus you don't really ever have to access it like a CD changer because you've got so much music on there that there's no need to have easy access to it.

Anyways, once its hooked up to the RNS-E you'll only see this on the screen.

CD 1
CD 2
CD 3
CD 4
CD 5
CD 6
CD 7 (this is for the nav dvd)

And then when your in track mode you'll see this.

Track 1
Track 2
Track 3
Track 4
etc.

The Phatbox does generates speech for your track titles, artists, genres, albums, and playlists. Once you use it you really won't need the display to see what your playing. It would be a nice addition but as of right now that's the only way you'll get it.

Let me know once you get the Phatbox and the RNS-E. I've got a very nice phatbox modification that makes navigating the Phatbox with the RNS-E much more user friendly (at least I think so).

Oh, and you'll need to ground the Phatbox either at the head unit or in the rear with a little wire so that it will work. Apparently the RNS-E doesn't send a ground out to thru the wiring harness.

You can also have both the Phatbox and Satellite Radio, if you make or have someone make you a custom wiring harness. I was one of the first people to make this harness with the help of nsxjr. With this harness you won't need any kind of switch or anything, it will just switch to which ever one you want to listen to.

If you have any questions let me know.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks. I was looking for how it would appear on the RNS-E. I'll hit you up for the Phatbox mod