S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

RNS-E upgrade help needed..I did search...:)

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RNS-E upgrade help needed..I did search...:)

Ok...First off I want to thank all who have posted such great help on their RNS-E upgrades on this forum over the last few years. I have spent much time reading as many as I could find but I am now intimidated since I think my install may be a little more than I expected.

I have a 2004 with the Symphony II / Bose system as well as Onstar and Sirius. I bought the car from the original owner and never renewed the Sirius and the Onstar is not used. I simply want to upgrade to an RNS-E with a Dension Gateway 300 iPod interface. I want to use the existing sharkfin. Since it sounds like the sharkfin is all connected up am I going to run into problems? I just want to run the extension from the sharkfin to RNS-E so I can use it as the GPS antenna. I never plan on using Onstar and honestly never really used the Sat radio when it was active.

Can I just disconnect the blue lead at the sharkfin, add the extention back to the RNS-E and be good to go?

If I did want to have the option of using SAT radio later on(I know I would have to upgrade the receiver) what would I have to do?

Thanks...!

Last edited by Turn_and_Burn; 06-04-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you just unhook the GPS antenna from the eisting cable, then connect the new cable, route it to the front of the car. I did by going down the B pillar, by the seat, umder door sills, to the front of the car, around the passanger foot well, to the space behind the head unit. Its not hard. BUTTTT you will need a new XM or Sirus unit for the RNS-E. The ons that comes with the Symphony II will not work with RNS-E.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the info. For my education...what would be currently connected to the blue connector at present? What am I disconnecting when I add the extension to the blue lead from the sharkfin and run it back to the RNS-E head? Isn't it connected to the Sirius receiver or does the Sirius have a separate antenna mounted somewhere else? What is the red lead from the sharkfin connected to?

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In my 05 I popped off the small headlinedr piece and the GPS antenna was mounted on the rear windshield. The sharkfin was not connected to anything. The FM antenna was also there as was the XM. You are disconnectig the lead from the existing GPS antenna, assuming you had drive Nav, like mine came with. I guess if you don't, then you will use the sharkfin antenna.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Thanks...

I don't have Nav. It's an early 2004. I just have the Symphony II with Bose, Onstar(not activated) and Sirius. So...I guess it's the sharkfin for me unless I chicken out on popping trim pieces out. Then...I'll mount the GPS antenna up front.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Its not hard. The rear upper pops right off, the one around the B pillar just has to come out just a bit. People have had success with the antenna located under the dash. Being an engineer in telecom and wireless, thats not acceptible to me. Makes my skin crawl.....
Old 06-24-2010, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this post I made a couple years ago. I located the GPS antenna in the dashboard.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2062267

Yes, I agree with RVTS4 that such a location is not ideal for an RF receiving antenna, but it does work for me.

From the posting mentioned...

Originally Posted by Mr. Timewise
I'd like to comment on the GPS antenna installation within the dashboard near the instrument cluster. I've read a couple posts suggesting that the antenna be located on top of an aluminum structural support forward of and slightly to the left of the center line of the instrument cluster. There is a small "shelf" in that location on the metal support where a plastic air duct makes a bend upward. Placing the antenna here is possible, but the spacing is VERY tight and the antenna will be slightly tilted and rather toward the forward edge of the windshield. This might limit the antenna's "view of the sky" and therefore the number of satellites that can be seen.

This mounting location within the dashboard has often been used because an earlier post describing an RNS-E installation used the term "cubby hole" to describe a good place to put the antenna. However, the photo that the author included in the article was rather dark, and his suggested location for the antenna is often misunderstood. A very careful look at the photo reveals that the location being described is not the little "shelf" on the aluminum structural support.

Instead, the GPS antenna was located between the upper surface of the dashboard and where the dashboard touches the top edge of the instrument cluster. Between these two surfaces is a rather decent open area...about 1 - 1.5 inches high, and a dozen inches wide. This area is ABOVE the installed instrument cluster. You'll note that when the instrument cluster is removed, you can cup your fingers and slip them up into this area. This is where you can locate the antenna and the extra coax cable. I wrapped velcro around the antenna, and then placed a mating piece of velcro on the bottom of the wrapped antenna. Then I did my best to slip the antenna into the opening, holding the sticky surface away from the plastic until the antenna was far enough in. It's a little tough to do this with big hands. I then coiled the coax cable (but for three feet or so) and stuffed the cable next to the antenna. I added a piece of good foam rubber (like that from a high quality instrument carry case) to prevent the cable from flopping around. When the antenna is in this location, it is almost centered in the front to back distance of the windshield, giving it a great view of the sky.

Oh, yes...do not bend the coax cable too sharply. Doing so will significantly diminish the received signal strength. Keep all "radius" bends in the cable at least 2 inches.