S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

RS4 Weight Reduction...Good Story at NAIAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS4 Weight Reduction...Good Story at NAIAS

When i heard about the new RS4 I was led to believe that the car would weigh a bit more than the outgoing B6 S4. However after the car's introduction I applaud audi for going the extra mile in reducing the cars weight via using aluminum extensively, lightweight seats, etc, etc... (Note, i am not talking about the U.S. Version).

However at the NY auto show this guy got into a conversation about how the car is heavy by its standards and that the new corvette will blow it away. I calmly explained to him that based on the RS4's specifications (Quattro, luxury/sporty but QUALITY interior, suspension, handling characteristics etc.), Audi did a great job on the car, and it is certainly gonna be a major performance icon for Audi, and a threat to other cars of the same class.

He then went on bawling his face off about how the new corvette use "super lightweight materials" and that the C6 will own the rs4 everday because it is lighter. Note: i was not comparing anything, i was just talking about the rs4 when he busted in.

Finally he became very ingnorant and ranted about how light the c6 was and that "the corvette is lighter, stronger and better in EVERY way than the RS4".

AT THAT POINT, I WENT BEHIND THE CORVETTE AND LITERALLY PUSHED THE TRUNK IN WITH MY RIGHT HAND. Then i stated infront of about 10-15 people, "Is this what you called stong lightweight materials." The group of people exploded into, "WOW's, and "Holy ****s" and WTF that car is a piece of plastic".

Well that converstaion showed that a car cannot excel in one department and be considered GREAT. I must be able to be versatile in all aspects of power, weight, handling, looks, etc...

Please reply if you have ever had a conversation similar to mine

Thanks, Damien
Old 03-31-2005, 01:21 PM

You mean NY auto show right? NAIAS is in Detroit.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Whoops sorry i mean the New york auto show

unfortunately the RS4 was not in NY...
Old 03-31-2005, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my little brother almost ripped the door handle off of a viper...it was pretty funny.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Default LOL - actually the vette is much heavier than it needs to be because of fiberglass

it has to have a heavy frame to support the fiberglass - if it were unibody it could be even lighter and a safer car.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Well...at least in SCCA World Challenge, the Z06 had trouble with the much heavier RS6...and even

it's fellow GM product, the CTS-V.

Can you imagine the board room conversations with a Cadillac sports sedan owning a Z06!! Sure they use the same Chevy motor, but I think it's funny that GM allowed a factory sponsored team to embarrass Chevy's flagship sports car with a sedan.

We'll see how well the C6 Z06 does and whether the weight reduction (and increase in displacement) evens out things. Still should be interesting with Audi in the mix for standing starts or foul weather in the World Challenge. Audi has owned the standing starts in all the races.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well...

In terms of production cars the vette's are one of the best performing cars on the street and the track. Especially the Zo6. The C5 Z06 track times are comaprable to a 911 turbo, not bad. The new C6 Z06 will probably destroy it. Thier build quality maybe questionable, and materials cheap(better now though) but you can't deny thier performance. People expect the vette to have world class performance, excellent build quality and first rate interior. What do you expect from a 50k car? Somethings gotta give and GM chose to invest the most time and money in the performance of the car.
In terms of comapring the RS4 and the C6 Z06. Apples to oranges..to some extent. The RS4 is Audi's example of thier ultimate luxury and sport sedan. The C6 Z06 is GM answer for the ultimate sports coupe. If the 2 cars ever raced by equally competant drivers the vette will soundly beat the RS4.
I didn't start out a vette fan but recently seeing the Z06 beat so many cars, I have gained a respect for them. I don't want to start anything becuase the B6 board had a huge debate about the C5 Zo6 and B6 S4. Just my .02c.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I don't think the Vette even falls in the sights of those creating the RS4...

American Sports Car Coupe vs European Sports Touring Sedan?

They both have awesome performance but the executions and purposes are so different, IMO.

I would not be cross-shopping those two cars.

I drove the C6 and was not impressed. Not a drivers car, IMO.

The RS4 looks promising, but if it costs above $70k, I will not be interested.