S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

S4 B6 coil packs - How to?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 06:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 B6 coil packs - How to?

Hi All. Forum Newbie here. I searched the S4 forums for coil pack replacement DIY guide, but either got so many hits or not enough info to find what I was looking for.

Hope you guys can help!

I purchased a very nice S4 B6 6-speed with 43K miles a few months ago. Love the car.

Decided to clean the engine compartment 2 weeks ago. Bad mistake.
Anyway, despite trying to avoid spraying water onto the electrics, I must have got water or resulting condensation into the coil packs, as a week later, I had 3 coil packs got - cylinders 4, 5 and 8.

The dealer replaced all three (out of warranty, so on my dime) with the "T" version coils, and suggested that I also replave the other 5 coils at the same time, even though they showed no misfires or errors on their diagnostics.

I, being the damned all-knowing, cynical, idiot that I am....declined their fine offer, assuming this was totally unnecessary.

Well, last evening, I had the same flashing ECL and bad misfire develop (this in the very wet and rainy conditions we had the whole of yesterday....headlights fogged-up again, etc)

Anyway...I now want to replace the other 5 cylinder's coil packs (Cylinders 1,2,3,6,7)

A few questions...

1. Is the latest coil pack, the "T" version?
I see the dealer replaced the 3 packs with part number 077-905-115-T, which I assume is the latest/best version?

2. How are the Audi S4 cylinders identified?
i.e. which is cylinder 1,2,3,4,5....etc?

3. I found a site with what seems like really good prices for the T packs - http://www.dartauto.com/parts/VW/Audi/2006/S4E/I2/8536#

Does this sound like a good deal?

4. Most importantly for me....is there any trick to replacing these packs? I heard from the dealer tech that they are VERY delicate and Audi suggests specific care/installation procedures.
As I got burtn ignoring the dealer's advice on this stuff already, my question is....is there any DIY installation guide or info on how best to replace the coils, what to look out for, what to avoid doing, etc?

5. What tools are you guys using to reset check lights? I found some PC interface cable and software from http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/interfaces.html which seems to be a good kit? Is this a popular/recommended kit? Any other suggestions?

Thanks ALL!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

1. I replaced my coil packs last week. I picked them up at the local Audi dealer and the part number 077-905-115-Q which is the part number specified in the Audi Technical Bulletin. Earlier versions are susceptible to moisture problems. I would think the “T” suffix would indicate a newer version but I can’t say for sure.

2. The front passenger side cylinder is number 1 followed by 2, 3 and 4 on the same side. The front driver side cylinder is number 5 followed by 6, 7 and 8 on the same side.

3. I paid $21.00 at the Audi dealer after my 10% discount.

4. There is a special tool to remove them which I used but since you will not reuse then it really doesn’t matter if they are damaged when removing them. Here is a link to the special tool:

http://buy.equipmentsolutions.com/eq...&Item_id=89994

I used instructions for replacing the spark plugs when I replaced my coil packs: This link was very helpful:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ht=spark+plugs

5. My OBDII did not work with the Audi CAN system so I reset my check engine light by disconnecting the battery lead for 40 seconds. The radio worked fine and I did not have to enter a code. My remotes would not lock/unlock the doors. I had to register the keys which is a simple procedure using the user manual. I also had to assign the remotes to the memory seats, again it’s in the user manual. An option is to go to Autozone and they will reset it for you at no charge.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the detailed and useful info, Joe!

Do you happen to have the spark plug numbers for the S4 as well?
I need to pick up a service/repair manual for the car.

Thx!
Old 10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I got this from the NGK site:

Standard BKR6ES
V-Power BKR6E
G-Power BKR6EGP
Laser Platinum BKR6EQUA
Iridium IX BKR6EIX

I have read that the cars came with NGK BKR6EQUA or a Bosch plug but I can't recall the number. The NGKs can be ordered from Amazon.com. I will probably install NGK Iridium plugs at 55,000 miles.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Again, thanks very much!

OB
Old 10-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You're welcome
Old 10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, 5 of the "T" coil packs on there way, as well as 8 of the NGK Iridium IX BKR6EIX iridium plugs to replace at the same time as the coil packs.

I considered the Denso Iridium plugs as they seem to be even higher performance, with their very much finer 0.4MM center electrode, but when I learned that they have a suggested 30000 mile lifespan, I went for the thicker NGK version instead.

Thanks for the help and useful links!
Old 10-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Replaced the plugs with the NGK Iridium plugs and the other 5 coil packs with the latest "T" spec packs so that I have all 8 new packs. Removed the positive battery terminal for 20 seconds, to reset the check light. Had to re-initialize the key fobs to the ignition, and the key fobs to the seat mirror assignments (which took me some time because the manual does not say that you need to do this with the door open!

Anyway, the car's driving perfectly now, and it feels good to have saved a couple hundred bucks of dealer labor AND know that the job has been properly.

BTW - I had only 1 of the 4 x T25 bolts holding coil pack harnesses to the heads. The dealer either left off 3 of the bolts, or the PO had left them off if he replaced them previously (which is doubtful, as he was not a DYI type).

Thanks for all the help.

Did I say I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It’s always a good feeling when you do it yourself

When I changed the coil packs I had to remove Phillips screws instead of Torx bolts. The engine was replaced at 18,000 miles due to a dropped valve so that’s when it must have happened. They are not the right screws and they were stripped on the driver’s side. The screws are much shorter than the originals so hopefully I can use the correct bolts on the driver’s side. I will probably wait and install them when I do the spark plugs.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Coil Pack Recall

Audi has announced a coil pack recall on their website. I believe it includes B6 S4's. Possible reimpursment if you bought coils.

Quick Reply: S4 B6 coil packs - How to?