S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

S4 B6 coil packs - How to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiS4car
Audi has announced a coil pack recall on their website. I believe it includes B6 S4's. Possible reimpursment if you bought coils.

Luckily had a misfire on the freeway when passing someone...one of the coils went out. Took it in to Audi Stevens Creek and they took care of it no problem. Would have been about $1k worth of work.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why the hell anyone SPRAYS WATER INTO A MODERN ENGINE COMPARTMENT.....IS BEYOND REASONING.......

That used to work fine on my 66 Mustang, old Camareos, SS Chevys, "Cudas,.....yadayada that had carbs.....BUT NOT ON MODERN ENGINES WITH COMPUTERS.....
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RVTS4
Why the hell anyone SPRAYS WATER INTO A MODERN ENGINE COMPARTMENT.....IS BEYOND REASONING.......

That used to work fine on my 66 Mustang, old Camareos, SS Chevys, "Cudas,.....yadayada that had carbs.....BUT NOT ON MODERN ENGINES WITH COMPUTERS.....
Really? Well...I'd say it depends on the vehicle, and how averse to water the particular vehicle is. Every MODERN motorcycle, for example, has a COMPUTER and very similar systems to the Audi...and are well sealed against the environment...including water spray....just as MANY modern cars are.

But not the Audi, apparently. Despite the motor NOT being sealed against the elements.

Well, live and learn. As I said, I'll not do that again. My Mitsubishi with COMPUTER, Scion with COMPUTER and Suzuki Grand Vitara with COMPUTER are all totally fine with water spray in the engine compartment. Go figure?
Old 04-08-2010, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Carr04Avant
Luckily had a misfire on the freeway when passing someone...one of the coils went out. Took it in to Audi Stevens Creek and they took care of it no problem. Would have been about $1k worth of work.
$1k? To replace a coil pack?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ooo Ooo..I will do all 8 of yours for 1K... and I will even throw in the offer of doing it again at an appointed time down the road for that same 1K. Hell, I would even throw in an oil/filter service or two. ;]

Seriously, dont get taken. Its only about an hour or two of work and the coilpacks themselves are fairly inexpensive if you shop them. The writeups on here are actually really good and I dont think you can get into trouble if you follow them.

Also as AudiS4car likes to point out (in every thread)... there is a recall and they will do it for free if you call your local dealer and run your VIN through their checklist.

I had to laugh because I just did my plugs, then checked on the recall and chuckled with the service writer that he was about to do the same procedure I just did all over again just to get at the coils. It might have been nice if they would have just handed me new coils and let me go in with them from the start.

Oh and I never spray inside my engine bay. I wipe. ;]

-bb