S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

S4 or Mercedes e320 sports?....

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 or Mercedes e320 sports?....

I currently have deposit for an S4 and to this day it still isn't in production yet. I had put down the deposit back in April. I am getting the second S4 at the dealership. but i am finding out that i don't know if I want to wait another 3-4 months or whatever.

The mercedes E-class intrest me also. I know the are probably in a differnt class but was thinking of getting it w sports package. another factor is that it is about 54500.00 plus tax. probably a little more than the S4/

Please give some input to my dilema.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: S4 or Mercedes e320 sports?....

In my opinion it depends on if you want to look like a ***** or a car connoisseur. To me the e320 doesnt even compare to the M3 or the S4. In my opionion Benz is for people who have to show something (maybe its just where I live) and the people who know cars will drive the Audi or BMW's. Just my two cents (oh and for the Benz people out there the '*****' comment was about my arogent next door neighbor not about you that are here hopefully buying a S4) :-) Long and short, ive driven benz's, ive driven audis, and Ive driven BMW's. I would never by a benz, they are no fun, even in standerd models. Granted the S500 & S600 are bloody fast, It still take an S8 or that new Caddy. Just my two cents (no flames please)
Old 07-25-2003, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I like to have a top of the line car....

The S4 is the best of the best (till RS4 comes)...

The E320 is the base model for the E series (500 and 55 AMG)....

That being said its no where near the same car...

Why not get like an A6 2.7, and then you can get a stick !
Old 07-25-2003, 05:30 AM

Default My second choice car would probably be an E Class

with all-wheel drive. Mercedes has done much to improve the driving dynamics of their cars lately and I was very impressed with the "feel" of the E Class. The smaller S4 will undoubtedly handle better and go faster. The E will be a more comfortable ride. Where are your priorities?

I don't think you should worry about what others will think. I have a friend who won't buy a 3 Series BMW because his friends buy them for their kids and he thinks of it as an entry level BMW for people who can't afford the real thing. On the other hand, he would buy an A4. Go figure. I had a 740iL and much prefer driving a smaller car. Some people may think I am not as rich as I was while others will think I value driving dynamics above status. Don't worry about "top of the line" crap either. That is people with who are trying to overcompensate. Drive the cars and buy the one you like best.

Alan
Old 07-25-2003, 08:33 AM

Default My two cents...

I don't think you can honestly say that you would take a Caddilac over a Benz. My father has a 2003 Sl500 with sports package and that car moves and handles incredibly. and it is most definitely fun to drive. You make a good point, but Caddy? hell no...
Old 07-25-2003, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default I guess that was directed toward me...

top of the line crap ?

Who wouldn't wanna drive the top of the line car. Not just for the I paid more look at me factor. Its rim options, bigger engines, nicer interiors... etc.

There is more to buying a top of the line car, than just showing people you paid more.

So no I'm not getting an S4 just so you know I paid more than someone who has an A4, thats retarded.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: My two cents...

I was refering to the 700HP monster that isnt out yet :-)
Old 07-25-2003, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My mom just got the E320 Sport...

...after 20 years of driving BMW's (mostly 5-series).

She has been really disappointed in the car.

Yes, it looks really nice.
Yes, it is luxurious.
Yes, most people would take it without complaint.

But, if you are the type of person who likes to DRIVE a car instead of RIDE in it, you should stick with Audi or BMW.

Even the sports package on the E320 cannot hide the fact that it is really just a big cruiser. It does not handle nearly as well or precisely as a BMW or Audi (even w/out sports package).

Also, the E320 is a BIG car. It could never be confused with a sports sedan.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:34 PM

Well...if he were to get the *best* (top-of-line) A6 wouldn't it be the 4.2 or RS?
Old 07-25-2003, 01:46 PM

Default No, not just toward you.

You ask who wouldn't want to drive a top of the line car and I will tell you: the 1/2 of the Car and Driver editors who think the M3 is too harsh and isn't as smooth as a regular 3 Series. If I were to buy a Corvette I wouldn't want a Z06 hardtop but rather a "regular" convertible or targa top. Same goes for Porsche where the top of the line makes a great track car but the regular 911 makes a much better street car.

Alan

Quick Reply: S4 or Mercedes e320 sports?....