S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

S4 v. S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 v. S5

Since ordering (and waiting for) my car, a new B7 S4, I've been toying with the idea of just going for the S5 instead. There are several reasons I've decided not to go that route. First, I really still like the look of the S4 sedan - yeah the coupe is pretty, stylish, etc., but I find it to be just a bit slick for my taste. For example, I don't like the LEDs around the headlights. The interior's kind of slick also - the S4 is more basic which I like. I also don't like that the S5 is longer and wider than the S4 - the size is one reason I bought it in the first place. Then there's cost - the S5 is not that much more than the S4, but dealers will likely not discount the new model anywhere near what they'll do on an S4 - I figure a fully loaded S5 will run around $6K+ more. For work, I like the sedan - more businesslike IMO and performance is very similar. The S5 will likely hold its value better, but I'm planning on holding on to this car for quite a while - certainly longer than the 500 miles I put on my B6 before selling it!!

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:30 AM

Default Re: S4 v. S5

I was thinking the same thing until I saw the s5. I ordered s5 the next day. Wow what a beautiful car. I will be trading my 05 s4 for it.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks - I needed that
Old 09-23-2007, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phil....the S5 will be a better car. You can't get around that fact....

Every succeeding generation of vehicle is a technological improvement. It will go on endlessly. Doesn't matter. The B7 S4 is still a great car and a great looking car. For that matter, I still think the B6 platform is good looking, and even the B5's are just barely starting to look "out of date". Don't try and rationalize the S4 purchase over the S5. Ask yourself this...do you need a 4-door for the practicality of it? Does the 6k price difference matter? The interior styling in both cars is equally as nice, just different. The B7 interior does not look dated in any way whatsoever so this shouldn't be a consideration unless you really like one over the other. The S4 is a great car, but if the extra doors and price difference doesn't matter, the S5 will be better. If you are really in love with the S4, however, don't second guess. It is a great car too.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Answers

Yes, I really do need the extra doors, especially for a work car. As for the $6K+ savings on the S4 v. S5, not as important, but don't ask my wife that question. Yeah, the S4 is a great car and terrific looking in Northern Blue - I'm going to stick with my order. I don't think I can go wrong - although it won't hold it's value like the S5, but I'm planning on using and keeping it for a while.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

They make two different cars for a reason.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I need to check out the S5... but I am tend to agree with you, and may do the same.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Phil....the S5 will be a better car. You can't get around that fact....+1

I agree with what's been said here. It's a fact that companies, like Audi, that produce the new cars we buy (and love) today will continue to engineer better cars. In this connection, it sounded to me more like "Phil G." trying to convince himself that the B7 S4 is a better car than what the S5 will be. Logic defies that type of reasoning. I feel like I've gotten to the point in my life where I am content with the knowledge that change is a part of life and that the technology that produces computers, cell phones, and cars is only going to get better. In this regard, I think the "secret" to such a state of contentment is to always buy the "best" of whatever you seek. This gets me back to my point that even though the S5 will be a better car than the B7 S4, the B7 S4 is still a great car in its own right.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Is Northern Blue anything like Denim Blue? I couldn't find a good picture.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I agree with your logic completely, but...

for me the S4 sedan is really a better, more practical, and cost-effective choice. I may be rationalizing this, but I really do like the look of the S4, and the scarcity of them - you just don't see many of them, which makes them pretty exclusive. I think you'll see more S5's. Is it a prettier, "better" car? No doubt. But, I'm going to stick with my order. It's like my 2004 C4S - is the 997 a better car? Yep. But, there's something classic about the 996 that I love and the rear end is one prettiest Porsche's ever made. The classic, not quite dated look of the B7 S4 attracts me to that car also for similar reasons.

Quick Reply: S4 v. S5