S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

For the second time in three weeks, RPMs stuck while in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For the second time in three weeks, RPMs stuck while in gear.

Somebody posted a similar issue two days ago (see link) and I responded that it had happened to me once before. Well, last night it happened again.

I was driving through some typical SF city traffic when I saw an opening in the adjacent lane. I accelerated hard in first gear and proceeded to change lanes. When I let off the gas though, the car held RPMs at about 5,500. The light ahead of me was red so I pushed the clutch pedal in and came to a stop. As I sat there, I watched the RPMs slowly drop back down to idle over the course of maybe two to three seconds. The guy next to me probably thought I was nuts, as I came to a complete stop right next to him with the motor still revving like crazy. It was kind of embarrassing actually.

Anyhow, the light turned green and I moved off, but each time I upshifted the revs just hung at whatever RPM I let off the gas at. After maybe 20 seconds, the whole episode was over and everything returned to normal.

Like I said, this is the second time this has happened to me and while it ended up being harmless both times, there are possible situations in which this could be a serious problem. Luckily I have a clutch pedal that I can just depress to stop the car, but it is still an unsettling feeling when you expect the car's (strong) compression braking to slow you down and it instead holds RPMs like the cruise control is on.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/166805.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/166805.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 12-02-2004, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same problem w/ my 04. Has not happened yet on the 05.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:42 AM

Default WTF?? Something ain't right with this POS DBW program of ours. I can only imagine the look on that

dude's face! If I ever looked over and saw a car revving high at a red light, I'll be like "HUH??"
Old 12-02-2004, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OMG. I guess no one needs reminding that Audi has had some legal issues with this kind of thing...

Back in the, uh, 80s? But those were with automatics, I think. Some people got pinned in garages by their cars and such. I'm sure if you were to send a letter to an AoA rep and cc your lawyer, they'd be happy to look into the matter. You might want to embelish the story, adding notes about narrowly missing kids in front of the de Young Museum, or how your car suddenly went on a demonic rampage down Lombard Street.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default When I drove on icy surfaces last week, happened several times, also happened several

times last year and it's been discussed A LOT here, it's the f*cking DBW that is going nuts... The RPM will drop "sooner or later" but it takes a while when you remove your foot from the gas, just like if the car had absolutly no compression... It's stupid but Audi doesn't seem to do something on this issue.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:11 AM

Default LOL.

I think the odds of Audi (or anybody, for that matter) being able to diagnose and fix the problem are about one in a million, so for now I'm taking a wait and see attitude. Also, I <b>really</b> like my car and have no interest in letting it go unless I have to.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Except that nobody has been able to conclude that there was any fault by Audi

It was drivers that didnt know that they were pressing the gas. Friggin stupid people.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:29 AM

Default I know it's the DBW software. I'm pretty familiar/comfortable with what it normally does (m)

and I usually defend it on this forum. It <b>does</b> have some annoying attributes, but those attributes are, for the most part, intended to do what they do.

What happened to me last night certainly was not intended. I can deal with the idiosyncrasies of our DBW software, but this is an example of an actual mistake made by the computer.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Elder Member

Yep. Fuzzy logic. No software fix for it, I think it's a hardware decoder issue.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:41 AM

lol.

Quick Reply: For the second time in three weeks, RPMs stuck while in gear.