S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Skip Barber vs Jim Russell--racing school. Or another?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skip Barber vs Jim Russell--racing school. Or another?

First off, thanks to Sheethead and Brooks for the feedback on this matter.

What are you preferences for racing school? I'm hearing from Sheet that there's a lot of politics in Barber's school, Brooks did a one day at Russell which he liked, etc.

I need feedback on this, for I have no clue. Thanks!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Also, any recommendations on racing books before any school. AlanL's recommended a couple:

Bentley's
"Professional
> Race Driving Techniques

and Think to Win" by Don Alexander

I'm going to order those today. Do you have anymore recommendations guys? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told you this via e-mail, but buy a good video game and steering wheel for PC.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Banned

I learned all I know about driving from Super Mario Kart
Old 02-14-2005, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ok, are you guys serious? Not really helping...

I didn't pick up on the sarcasm in the email sheethead...just your cockiness ;-)

But as for feedback from you guys, I'm leaning towards Jim Russell's 3 day racing course...I don't see the karting one day course sheethead.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:55 PM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default You should also read Skip Barber's book and Hank Watts' book.

While I have been to neither school, I have heard that the Jim Russell school (at Sears Point) might be a little more directed to someone who is serious about racing while the Skip Barber school (at Laguna Seca) might be a little more directed to people who want an enjoyable adventure for a few days. Since I have no idea whether these comments are correct, I would be inclined to select Barber because I prefer Laguna Seca over Sears Point (although I think that Sears Point is great).

Andrew
Old 02-14-2005, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks for the feedback. Will keep this in mind.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Sia..I could plug Russell...A friend of mine has been working...

at their school as a part time instructor. His main gig is as a instructor around the entire country for many new car manufacturers. I have only taken their karting class and the experience was fantastic....a lot of driving time. I can also say Bondurant did a nice 3 day school while they were up here at Sears. Talk about adreniline! I'll shoot you a book(High Performance Driving by Bob Bondurant) to borrow next time we meet. Next time my friend Dave is in town I'll ask him to put in a good word for you over at Russell if you'd like. Might save you a few bucks.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm dead fvcking serious. I swear on your life that I learned to drive on my computer.

Granted, the games sucked in the mid-nineties, but there were a few simulations that turned out to be quite realistic (though I didn't know it at the time). Some of the current simulations replicate everything except the g-forces. They are very, very good now.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Awesome dude! Thanks a lot. Sheet's recommending their karting school a lot.

Would you recommend their 3 day racing school, then karting?

I'll definitely hit you up on the book for the next time we meet. I'll have a couple other books by then if you'd like to trade for awhile, as well.

Quick Reply: Skip Barber vs Jim Russell--racing school. Or another?