S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

So which is more reliable: Audi or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 06:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It would depend on the individual car. Having had both, I would say they

they are about equal. Had few problems with 2 of my Audis and BMW, but a lot of problems with a TT cp. If you have a car with few problems than that mfg seeems great. But if you get a car from either mfg that has many problems, than that mfg seems bad. Ask JDblueAudiS4 what he thinks about Audi and reliability.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You goober! JD Power is initial quality, fit and finish only...has nothing to do with reliability.

Now get it together dude. And no one here is blinded by bias, except possibly you who owns to new Audi's, but keeps digging up the BMW debate.

Overall, at least in the past, I would think BMW is slightly more reliable than Audi has been. But not much.

Am I bustin your B's? Yeh, but you make it easy sometimes Timmay : )
Old 04-22-2006, 07:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Have them both

My Z4 (2003) and S4 (2006) are both great cars with few problems with the Z4 (minor and fixed under warranty with no hassle) and none so far with the S4, six months into ownership

That said my prior A6 was the worst car I ever had.

Audi has improved reliability over the past few years.

Even Honda has service bays in the dealerships. No car runs for 10 years without a single problem.

You should get whichever one you like better. Whether you think Chris Bangle is a styling God or needs to be sequestered in the witness protetion program is up to you. I like most of the BMW styling (trunk lid issues notwithstanding) and love the pignose on my new S4. Opinions vary widely.

More important, in my mind, is going with a dealer you know and trust and with whom you have a good relationship. Get recommedations from others in the area or on this message (and other) boards. I am thrilled with the BMW dealership I use (thompson in doylestown, pa) and have found a great Audi dealership (audi of huntingdon vally, pa), after shopping around the area a bit. The other dealerships did not impress me.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hey quit bustin' my ***** already....

You even said it yourself "except possibly you who owns TO new Audi's,"

To new Audi's??

Too bad J.D. Power doesn't do a grammar/spelling survey. LOL! Yes, I have 2 new Audis so you know where I stand at the end of the day.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:16 AM

2nd
Old 04-22-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Timbilt, you crack me up.

I'd have to say you are one of the biggest culprits of being so anti-BMW it's not even funny. If JD ranked Audi higher than BMW you'd be all over that bandwagon.

Some of the comments you've made (particularly over in your own B6 board) amazes me, well sort of. I like the following in particular:

"My advice to you (and everyone else here on AudiWorld) is to avoid all newer Bimmers and Benzes like the plague is you don't want to put up with a quantity and severity of issues that are considerably higher than many people already have with Audi.

BTW, all E90/E91/E92/E93 3 Series BMWs, like most other Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs, are extremely ugly pieces of junk that nobody should buy."
Old 04-22-2006, 07:22 AM

Default well...

at least things are getting a little lively here again. I don't know where you stand at the end of the day, but I know you're sitting pretty in your new S4.

Just remember, it's not safe to drive with binoculars looking for every potential S4 challenger on the road. Leave those poor STi's, EVO's, G35's, Z's, Vettes, M3's, 330i's, Chargers, Hummers alone. They are not trying to race you, but only speeding up to get a good look at what they think is a missing sunroof! : )
Old 04-22-2006, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: well...

Haha! Then they say to themselves "Dayam, that's a sweet looking car. Maybe someday I'll have a ride as nice as that."
Old 04-22-2006, 07:31 AM

Default Re: well...

Probably.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Re: BMW's are the last thing from being "junk".

2 close relatives currently have 2 Z4's, one M3, one 323 coupe(older). They are all diehard BMW owners and very happy with their cars.

They were also very interested in checking out both my B6 and B7 A4 and B6 S4 when they first heard I had bought them. Nothing but respect for the looks and design of my Audis. As do I for their BMW's.

I have since changed from B6 A4 to the B6 S4, but my wife still drives an 05 B7 A4, which I don't particularly like, and neither does she, as it turns out. That's another story...

Quick Reply: So which is more reliable: Audi or BMW?