S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

So which is more reliable: Audi or BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree, Thompson service gets A+, sales though C-. Holberts, B+ on both.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Former Vendor

Default yeah, don't make people question their purchases!

instead let's blindly circle jerk over how great and flawless our cars are all the time!
Old 04-22-2006, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i honestly think that current and future audis will be more reliable than current and future BMWs

though this certainly hasn't been the case in the past.

audi is doing a massive campaign to improve reliability globally, but also with a extra emphasis on the US market.

for example, one of the reasons that they have waited so long to introduce the q7 here is that they want to make absolutely sure that it is a trouble-free launch. from the rumors here, it sounds like they may be doing a similar thing with the rs4. it may be that we will have to wait longer for new models, but they will be more reliable.

OTOH, the new BMWs strike me as overly complex, which is really unfortunate.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:24 AM

Default Personally, these surveys are a joke

Most of these reports are due to things like electronic key issues, drink holders, trunk buttons and the like. For me, a credible study would be days lost at the shop vs. a 2-3 hour repair of some cosmetic stuff where you get to walk the floor to see the latest delivered cars, etc.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First of all, I am in no way anti BMW, Timmay

In fact, the pre Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs (such as the E39 5 Series/M5, E46 3 Series/M3, E38 7 Series and all of the others before these) are my favorite vehicles ever. I am just anti BMW when it comes to Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs other than the 6 Series/M6 (which I now like) and Z4 (which I have acknowledged many times has decent quality and reliability). If you read numerous online reviews from owners and in some cases on BMW forums, most of the Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs are some of the worst vehicles on the road today. I should also mention that contrary to what some people here on AudiWorld might think, I am 100+ percent aware of the fact that Audis are flawed in a lot of ways. And while Audi's quality, reliability and service have all improved significantly over the past few years, it is still pretty bad overall-and well below Toyota and Lexus-at least here in North America. But, for the most part, Audi's quality, reliability and service are excellent overseas based on the survey's there (some of which are reliable and some of which are not).
Old 04-23-2006, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That depends on which BMWs you are talking about

If you are talking about the pre Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs such as the E39 5 Series/M5, E46 3 Series/M3, E38 7 Series and all BMWs before that, then yes BMWs are far from junk. In fact, those BMWs are the best vehicles ever. But if you talking about the E60/E61 5 Series/M5, E65/E66 7 Series and E90/E91/E92/E93 3 Series/M3, those BMWs (which are Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs) are junk based on numerous online reviews and reports from owners on BMW forums and websites such as edmunds.com, msnautos and others. Some people on here flame me because they think I am anti BMW when in reality I am pro BMW when it comes to pre Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs and anti BMW only when it comes to Bangle/Van Hooydonk BMWs other than the 6 Series/M6 (which I now like) and the Z4 (whose quality and reliability is decent). And I have acknowledged several times that while Audi's quality, reliability and service have improved significantly over the past few years that it is still pretty bad overall and well below Toyota/Lexus-at least in North America. So I am fully aware that Audis are very flawed, too, even though some people here on AudiWorld think that I think otherwise.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: yeah, don't make people question their purchases!

Actually, Audis are very flawed. I am fully aware of that. In fact, I have acknowledged several times that while Audi's quality, reliability and customer service has improved significantly over the past few years, it is still pretty bad overall-and well below Toyota and Lexus-at least in North America. A lot of people here on AudiWorld seem to think that I think that Audi is flawless-which is the farthest thing from the truth. a lot of people here on AW also think that I am anti BMW and Mercedes when in reality I am only anti BMW and Mercedes when it comes to most newer (i.e. mid 2000s+ BMWs and 2000+ Mercedes'). Otherwise, I actually think that BMW and Mercedes make the best vehicles on the planet. That is the honest to god truth.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default According to overseas surveys....

and numerous AudiWorld members, Audi's quality, reliability and service overseas, for the most part, is far superior to North America and very good or excellent overall. Many AW members have acknowledged this on many occasions. Of course, Audi's quality, reliability and service overseas have slipped a bit over the last few years. That is why that Audi is doing a massive campaign to improve quality, reliability and service globally. The extra emphasis on the North American market is because Audi's quality, reliability and service have always been-and still are-substantially lower here than overseas.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Well so far I've been happy with my Audis as I haven't experienced

any issues (knock on wood).
Old 04-23-2006, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default true. if the new audi dealer here in LA is anything to go by,

we are going to see massive improvements.

Quick Reply: So which is more reliable: Audi or BMW?