S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Stock S4 vs Stock M3 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock S4 vs Stock M3 (long)

There have been numerous posts regarding this topic and the fact is that I knew when I bought my S4 that the M3 was slightly faster. Every car magazine test has rated the 0-60 or 1/4 mile runs in favor of the M3. There may have been one that rated them equal but this was definitely not the norm. Yes, I've seen the Top Gear video numerous times as well.

This doesn't mean that you can't beat an M3 if you're a better driver. You definitely can. I ran against a 2002 M3 stock for stock and beat him 2 times. He beat me 3 times. In every case I was ahead of him to about the 3-4 shift when his trap speed definitely starts to show and he passed me(well in the 3 that he won). I believe that I'm a slightly better driver than he is. My launch was better everytime since I got some good distance on him early. I shouldn't have been able to get that much distance on him in the first section.

Bottom line is that I love my S4 and I didn't buy it because it's faster than an M3, it definitley is not faster. I bought it for AWD, 4 doors, recaro seats and the fact that it's an awesome car with a great balance of daily driver and fun.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

well said....
Old 09-10-2004, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I was just saying below that the M3 is not as bad a$$ as people want to make out to be. I also said

that have not had a stock M3 in my area pull on me. Also beat the hell out of one on the freeway with three guys in it with myself and a passenger in my car. I just walked him time after time up to 120. So if you equal the weight of the cars, the M3 looses badly. I would really like to see the M3 with added weight to make it the same as ours then see it run. My money is on the S4. Myself and my family have owned many a BMW and i have to say they are great cars but nowhere near as good as what the Audi's have become. I didn't buy my Audi's to beat BMW on the street or the track i bought them because BMW is showing a lack in quality IMHO in all there lines. Even the Mini's are having all sorts of driveline problems.BMW has seriously dropped the ball in the last few years and i don't see them trying to recover it.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default One more thing. I have seen a stock M3 do a dyno and it was only putting out 322hp at the crank.

I think tis is due to the smog limitations that me be programed into the ECU here in Comi-fornia. Now a Dinan stage one car would have us for lunch, i'm sure as long as the guy can drive the car.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Well put. I appreciate both cars for what they are capable of...

...but for me, the S4 just gave the best mix for MY situation. I have 2 kids and the 4 doors makes a huge difference. I also live in an area that sees a fair amount of snow (not a ton, but enough). My driveway is 120 ft. long and uphill for most of the way. My neighbor ends up parking his BMW 540 at the bottom of his driveway when it snows, and sometimes he can't even make it up the fairly shallow inclines just to get out of our subdivision!

I used to have an SUV and considered getting a "fun" coupe as a second vehicle. What I ultimately found is that I wouldn't get much value out of a car that I had to intentionally go out of my way to get out in. The S4 provides a perfect balance for me. I drop the kids off at school and then go into "performance mode" with my driving style when the roads/traffic permits.

Sorry to add my ramblings to your post, but for me, any small performance disadvantage is quickly made up 100 fold in terms of versatility (again, for my situation). If I were single and living in in Southern Cal I MIGHT have chosen the M3, but alas, I'm a family man and the S4 is the perfect car for me!
Old 09-10-2004, 04:55 AM

Default Not surprising

<B>My launch was better everytime since I got some good distance on him early. I shouldn't have been able to get that much distance on him in the first section. </B>
The S4 should be able to launch better than the M3 because of AWD. As a matter of fact what you describe is pretty typical. The S4 launches faster but the M3 catches up when you hit the triple digits. Since most of us spend almost all of our time driving at speeds well below 100 MPH, it seems to me the S4 has the advantage.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:59 AM
Elder Member

Default I finally busted an SS yesterday. He was so pissed that his car couldn't keep up with the wagon...

that he spun out at the on-ramp for the interstate. Schmuck.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Stock S4 vs Stock M3 (long)

Couldn't agree more. Here is a video clip of the two cars. Straight line the M is slightly faster, but on the track and with driver skill, the S4 is the champion..

http://www.flixvault.org/topgear_video/114.zip

This guy used to be an F1 driver, and now hosts a show in the UK. I definitely believe in what he says.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "The Stig"

amazing driver.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:14 AM

Default Re: "The Stig"

Outstanding!

Quick Reply: Stock S4 vs Stock M3 (long)