S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Stratmosphere short shifter installed this past Monday

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 06:38 PM
N8
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratmosphere short shifter installed this past Monday

Let me just start by saying thanks to Pete and Ben @ RE. Here are some impressions...

<B><U>Installation</U></B>
The new shifter is made out of machined aluminum and is definitely superior in terms of quality to that of the stock shifter. I guess that can be attributed to Audi just trying to save some $$. There are two settings possible with the SS, short and shorter. Being someone who has never owned a car with one I decided that I would go with the less radical reduction. The installation took about an hour and a half (due to the copious pics that had to be taken) but could probably be knocked out in about 45 minutes by a diy'er. Everything comes apart and goes back together pretty easily. The only snag we ran into was reseating the ash tray. And that was just a matter of pushing at the right angle.

<B><U>Driving</U></B>
After 3 days of driving, I am very comfortable with it and have had no issues. The difference is somewhere in the neighborhood of about a 30% reduction. So, the throws are noticeably shorter but the good part is that the effort is pretty much the same. Just for kicks we measured the length of the throws (post install) and found that they were about 5 cm. I didn't have the presence of mind to measure before installation and would like it if someone out there could measure the stock length (in gear and neutral measure from the dash to the center line on the shifter). I digress, with respect to the 'notchiness' that can sometimes accompany short shifters, IMHO it simply isn't present.

<B><U>Bottom Line</U></B>
Personally, I LOVE IT. I know it is just my mind playing tricks with me but the car feels much quicker. Part of that could be due to the fact that I have 3500 miles on the car now and it is loosening up. To be honest, I didn't really believe that the car got faster as the miles rack up but it DOES.

Ok, that's it I hope this was helpful. Thanks again Pete.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm one that believes this 4.2 really does loosen up significantly with mileage.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:45 PM
Elder Member

Default Absolutely. I'm at 7400m and this baby is wicked!

Especially around the 5K mark, that's where I really noticed the engine revving quicker.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Compared to other cars you have owned...doesn't the s4 appear to have more of a difference?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:04 PM
Elder Member

Default Definitely. The B5 opened up right around 1000-1500 miles for me.

Then a bit more once I threw a little aftermarket programming on that *****... :-D

I didn't even notice a break-in period on my Expedition. :-/
Old 02-04-2004, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default IF PETE WOULD ANSWER AN EMAIL!!

i preordered that from them a month ago..... Hoping that you dont find any issues with it so they can finish machining all of them and send them out!

(Bergx7@aol.com, pete)

IMO: one of the good things about this car is how fast it revs and how close the gear ratios are (the B5 was horrible ratios) However, whereas in the B5 S4, the short shifter was somewhat uneccessary (gave better feel, but didnt help all that much with such long ratios) in this B6 model, a short shifter should be standard in every car off the lot. I can tell from driving that a short shifter in this thing will really help make smoother shifts, because for once, Audi gives us an engine with the right ratios.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:22 PM
AudiWorld Expert

heh, me neither on the Tahoe.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:25 PM
Elder Member

Default Yea, I think it would help keep the lurching to a minimum.

The revs drop too quickly sometimes.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hey Pete, that sig is great...what's that about the allroad being faster?
Old 02-04-2004, 07:42 PM
Elder Member

Default Maybe he meant it goes slower, faster?

Duh...Alright, I'm tired. Time for me to go to bed.

Quick Reply: Stratmosphere short shifter installed this past Monday