S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Supposed to be a new service bulletin for disabling AudioPilot (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supposed to be a new service bulletin for disabling AudioPilot (long)

I just had a phone call with a Bose rep that's been helping me out with the erratic volume problem (that occurs during hot weather). I've been giving him feedback on other AudioPilot behaviors that I wasn't satisfied with as well.

The rep said that there is a new service bulletin that explains to the dealers how to disable the AudioPilot. This confirms what S4mule posted about previously. I specifically asked if it was new because I had asked the dealers previously to disable the feature and they said they couldn't. So I guess now they can. :-)

I did ask if there was a way to hook up the AudioPilot to a menu item on the radio and he said no because of the radio design for our cars (well he said A4, but I think he meant S4 too). There isn't a way for the Bose amp to hook that feature into the radio in our cars.

The rep did say that you could have the SVC (speed volume control) hooked back up if you get the AudioPilot disabled. Then the SVC menu item will show up on the radio.

I learned a couple of other things about how the AudioPilot behaves. One is that if you happen to be moving with the RPMs settled in the 2000-2500 range, then you're more likely to notice volume changes that you wouldn't expect. There is some kind of resonation in our cars at those RPMs that interferes with the AudioPilot. This explains why sometimes when I've settled on a constant speed my volume suddenly seems to change.

The other is that the AudioPilot mostly affects the radio when the volume is low. It only adds a boost to the volume/bass. At higher volumes, it won't ever decrease the volume. This makes sense as when the radio is cranked higher, the erratic volume problem is less apparent. If you notice the volume level going down, it's more likely that the boost that was previously applied is no longer applied (so it feels like it turned the radio quieter).

I've had a couple instances where the radio definitely decreases in volume (far below the set level I had initially). But perhaps this is a radio problem and not an AudioPilot problem. It's not frequent enough to cause me concern (yet).

But I'll definitely be taking my car in to get the AudioPilot turned off. I'll probably ask them to turn on SVC as I can control that from the radio menu if I ended up not liking it.

I have to give kudos to the Bose rep though. He's been very helpful in giving me information and working with me on trying to find a solution that I'd be happy with.

KB
Old 07-29-2004, 09:55 AM

Default I heard Panasonic actually makes the head unit

any truth to that?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:43 AM

Don't know. He didn't say and I didn't think to ask.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Is this purely a Bose issue?
Old 07-29-2004, 12:18 PM

Yes, the AudioPilot is a Bose feature.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That used to be true of head units in the past. They seem to be Bosch/Blaupunkt design made by Panny
Old 07-29-2004, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks Puck - if anyone gets their hands on the TSB, please post it!!
Old 07-29-2004, 04:07 PM

Default I'm getting it done on my car tomorrow.

Not sure if I can get the TSB though. I asked my regular service advisor if he had the TSB and he indicated that he didn't, but that one of the service manager types there had already done the work on a car. I'm thinking he may have been walked through it but didn't necessarily have the official TSB.

Gonna have them check on the intake manifold TSB too.

KB
Old 07-29-2004, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Can you ask your service advisor for a copy or some documentation...

that we could reference? I doubt if many service departments are aware of it. Any help you could get for us would be great.

Phil
Old 07-29-2004, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Supposed to be a new service bulletin for disabling AudioPilot (long)

Awesome!

KB, best of luck with the fix. Mine goes in Monday morning. Glad that I could contribute!

Quick Reply: Supposed to be a new service bulletin for disabling AudioPilot (long)