S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Test drive comparison of the B6 S4 and the new Infiniti G37 coupe...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test drive comparison of the B6 S4 and the new Infiniti G37 coupe...

Yes, two very different cars but I was bored this weekend and once again decided to get together a nice test drive day.

I contacted the Infiniti dealership at the beginning of the week and arranged to have a test drive in a manual transmission 2007 G35 coupe and both a manual and automatic transmission 2008 G37 coupe.

First, the G35 coupe was raw and edgy, but somewhat dated in many ways. The exhaust note was instantly alerting to it's sportiness, the interior was a bit dated (especially the steering wheel), and the wheels looked too tucked. The acceleration felt mediocre (as does the S4 in today's market). Not much time needs to be spent on the G35 since it was a fine car, just not very impressive.

On to the G37.

The manual transmission vehicle was unable to be tested this day because it was just sold over the telephone and represented the last MT vehicle available in the state of Florida (or so they say).

I am not usually a fan of automatic transmission cars, but they did have a beautiful platinum colored one with the sport package and titanium paddle shifters. So off we went.

EXTERIOR STYLING:

This is obiously a subjective category but this car is gorgeous in person. It has beatifully sculpled flairs over the front wheels and rear hips as well as side body panels that flow nicely into widened side skirts at the bottom of each door. The LED tail lamps (something that has been available also on the older G35) look sharp next to the integrated deck lid spoler. The fronts are standard with bixenon lighting. This car also came equipped with the sport package 19" wheels that do a fantastic job of filling the fenders and giving the car a very updated if not futuristic look. The S4 simply looks dated on it's exterior although a design that has aged very gracefully. A girlfriend was along for the drive and stated she too gave the nod to the beatiful lines of the G37 coupe.

INTEROIR:

This inteior of this vehicle is light years ahead of the G35 and probably in the same ballpark as the dated S4 interior. The S4 has fantastic Recaro seats while the Infiniti with sport package has similarly nice sport seats that add a feature that either very slim or very heavy drivers will like...adjustable side and thigh bolsters. All of the Infinit coupes come with a 7" information screen in the center stack. It is appropriate and is becoming an expected item and the lack of it on the S4 simply reminds me the S4 is now a 6 year old interior design. The steering wheel on the G37 is not quite as comfortable as the S4 but very nice compared to the G35 and had easy placement for hands. The titanium shifters were well placed and very large so they can be activated with the wheel at multiple steering angles. They are appropriately left on the steering column ala Ferrari as apposed to the Audi mounting them on the wheel. Another item that is standard on the Infiniti and IMO should be integrated into all cars is a steering wheel that telescopes and tilts with the instrument pod. No matter what angle you want the steering wheel placed relative to your seating position, the wheel will not block the view of the guages. Another nifty but not necessary feature is the standard smart keys that allow you to keep the key in your pocket and do push button starting and unlocking.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:

The first and paramount item of importance that I asked myself when initiating a drive in this automatic transmission car was, "Does this thing's transmission really allow you to shift it like a manual?" I had poor experiences in the past when test driving the 335i paddle shifting automatic transmission as well as the A3 DSG transmission. Both of these transmissions were immediately ruled out as options because even in manual mode they will downshift without command if you stomp the pedal hard enough and they will upshift without command if you hit the rev limiter. This excludes these vehicles from being able to be truly performance driven.

Praise the transmission gods at Infiniti! They got this one right. Holding the car at 2500rpm in third gear and stomping the pedal to the floor provoked no downshift and when accelerating to and through the redline in 2nd gear the car bounced and bounced and bounced off the 7500rpm rev limiter refusing to shift up until given the command. This car was an absolute pleasure to drive as an automatic. Transmission shifts were not as quick as the incredibly fast BMW automatic unit in the 335i or of course the Audi DSG units, but it was much faster to shift than the Audi tiptronic units. Call it acceptable but not exceptional.

Ride was firm but not jarring with minimal lean and very good road holding. The rear tires kept their power going to the ground despite full throttle acceleration in 1st gear. Sure, 330hp is not alot in todays vehicles but the BMW 335i that I test drove roasted them not only in 1st but through much of 2nd gear as well. The standards LSD on the G37 appears to work well. The modified S4 is certainly a faster car. The stock S4...slightly faster. Overally, those who enjoy the ride and handling of the S4 will probably like the G37 about similarly. Both offer adequate ride with decent roadholding and roll control.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

This was a fun car to drive. The S4 is very sure footed in everything and in it's modified form it does it quickly. The G37 is more graceful, more beautiful, and more updated. The 335i I tested was in need of an LSD...quick and still IMO did not have the beautiful lines of the G37. If this G37 had 40 more horsepower and torque it would be in my garage. What it does have is a terrific dealership experience which is something I have found Audi to be sorely lacking in. Infiniti also has a 6year/70K mile powertrain warranty. In short, I was pleased with this car and am very tempted by it.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pleasure to read. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very nice writeup... dont forget to mention that they will be seen on every city street...hehe...

hey Bhvrdr, what exhaust combo do you have??... im trying to make 323whp lol...
Old 09-05-2007, 03:28 PM

thanks..interesting
Old 09-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Great info...the dealerships seem to take a beating. I wonder .......

why AOA does not step in to set standards on how they should treat customers.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default well said well spoken but a 2 dr coupe ??? really? Something about the 2dr coupes..

that seem odd or impractical, or is it just me thats odd. Prob me : ) guess i just dont match the demographic any longer - waaahhh
Old 09-05-2007, 11:28 PM

Very nice write up. Thank you.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Old 09-06-2007, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hehe, you're right about that though. THere isnt even much space for luggage.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:32 AM

I wonder if the recommended break in includes bounce, bounce, bouncing the engine at 7500 rpm?

Quick Reply: Test drive comparison of the B6 S4 and the new Infiniti G37 coupe...