S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Test drive and purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test drive and purchase

Well, I test drove the 6 speed today and...wow! Decision made. I'll tell you, though, driving the stick makes you appreciate how good the Tip is with its adapting capabilities. While certainly not as good as a stick, the Tip is remarkable in its ability to keep things smooth AND exciting.

Stick takes some getting used to though...first gear engages quickly, and shifting is jerky at first. Halfway through I was handling it better. One time I was up to 5-6k in 3rd, and when I put it into 4th my head hit the seat...whew...very impressive. Just such a level of performance, refinement, and luxury...nothing on the market even touches it.

BTW, the VIN was 134xxx. The stick clicked into every gear very crisply, almost like it knew where I was going. Ironically, I never tried reverse :-) The salesguy did put into reverse when idle, and I saw it was push down and shift.

I was told that the Infotainment is gone...they've unbundled things. Premium Audio with SAT, Telematics are separate, and Phatnoise is not available with SAT. Even worse is that if you choose Phat over Sat, you lose the better stereo. So no Phat with the top system...ridiculous. I'll have to opt for Sirius, and hope they can integrate Phat at some point. Problem is I'll have to buy it outright at that point as I'll already be into my lease, and then have to give it back at the end. One thing the BMW does have is a connector in the glove for an iPod...no such luck here.

And, since I want one built for me, I can't lock into an interest rate until delivery. But I have to give a non-refundable deposit to start production. So all I have to haggle over is price, which only goes so far since they can raise the MF later. Oh well...they don't have the color I want, and I want the latest version possible given all the early problems.

Those sunshades are kind of absurd for $375. I've also decided against the NAV...in my current ride, I can count on one hand how many times I've wished for one in 6 years, plus no screen or map, just directions and arrows. Any opinions here?

All I need to really decide on is color. I saw a white one and it is really sharp! But I'm still leaning towards black. It's down to Moro/Ebony, Dolphin/Ebony, Black/Ebony, or White/Silver. I wish the Black were metallic.

BTW, I called American Wireless and got a Cingular v60 for $408. They told me that only AT&T and Cingular versions are available, that a Verizon version is no longer available for Audi owners (not good considering I was planning on switching to them), as well as that they will stop distributing all the Audi phones in 2 weeks, at which point Audi will begin obtaining them directly from Moto.

One more step taken...
Old 01-04-2004, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Black is beautiful...

...but hard to keep clean, and impossible to keep swirl-free unless you're a detailing fanatic. You'll see every fingerprint on it. White is a lot easier to live with day-to-day; oddly enough, it doesn't show dirt as much as you might think. I've owned both colors, and I'll never own black again -- just too much of a hassle to keep presentable.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:31 AM
UrQ

Default Seems hyou can still get Infotainment package but you can also get the Premium Audio package

that has Bose and SAT.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:34 AM

Default Go for Black!

I've had most colors and although Black is hard to maintain, it's stealth nature allows more fun ;-). I should have mine by mid Jan.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:01 AM

Default You can still lock in your lease deal and negotiate mf

you just have to do it differently:

1) "locking" your finance deal lasts for 30 days. You have to get them to tell you what your cars status is, and give you updates. Once it's on the assembly line, there is a chance of you having it within a month. Wait until the last day of that month, and have them lock your rates for you Lease rates change on the 4th of the new month. This way, you'll hold onto it for as long as possible. If your car really hasn't come by the end of the next moth, then ask them to lock the new rate for you.

Then wait until after the 4th to see the new rates. If they are better, you get them.

2) You can't negotiate a *specific* mf, but you can negotiate how much they mark it up. A deal is a deal, so if they agree not to mark up the mf, and to give you the straight Audi Financial buy-rate on it, then there you have it. You may have to do your own digging to find out what it really is, if they aren't willing to show you the price sheet, but I wouldn't want to do business with a dealer like that in the first place.

They may not be willing to give you the Audi buy rate, but you can still negotiate a specific markup. Mine tried to mark it up. .00050, which is ludicrous. I talked them down to .00025, which is still more than anyone else here I think. If you have multiple dealers to work with, you should be able to find one who'll give you the buy rate.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Black is beautiful...(commitment is huge)

Hardly a sexier choice of color can be made, but making it all work is nothing but work.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You will be able to have Phatnoise with sat in a month or two!!!!!

They are working on a special cable to support it.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So American Wireless said they are changing how you get the phone again???

This is getting crazy. If they prices go up again then Audi needs to get their head examined. The integrated phone is sweet. You will enjoy it!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Where do you live?

The shades are worth every penny IMHO. Especially if you live in a sunny climate and choose the black interior.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Black is beautiful...

Yup, a huge amount of work to keep in looking good. But when clean, fantastic. My first Audi was black. I live off dirt roads. NEVER AGAIN. Current S4 is Silver. Very nice. New one on order will be Nogaro Blue (always trying something new).

Seriously, unless you are really **** about doing all the washing and waxing yourself with only the best products and techniques, Black is simply too much work. But when they are clean and detailed, just beautiful (while they last).

Quick Reply: Test drive and purchase