S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Test driving S4 & 335 today

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test driving S4 & 335 today

My two boys are starting to outgrow my TT. I love the TT and would like to hang on to it for a few more years, but will ultimately need to upgrade to something that carries more than one other adult. I test drove the S5 when it came out and fell in love with it. Unfortunately, the back seat is not much bigger than the TT. Naturally I started trying to dig up information on the B8 S4. While searching, I discovered the various posts regarding the lease pricing on the 335.

I'm going out test driving today to get the feel for the B7 S4 against the 335, and also to feel the V8 in the B7. I'm also going to look at the 535 for comparison against all cars mentioned as well as the A6. I'd really like to stay in the Audi family, but am really tempted by the BMW numbers (plus the potential to use the end of the year to my advantage). I've been reading the B8 A4 and B7 S4 forums for a month or so now looking for information regarding how long the wait for the B8 S4 will be and have seen several posts that indicate that there are more people like myself that are tempted by numbers and the (expected) long wait. I'm posting this on both forums in hopes of soliciting a few opinions or more information. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I'll post back once I've had a chance to feel things out. I'm taking a long time BMW fan with me who I've just turned on to the A4. Should be an interesting day!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Went through the same exercise ...

My wife has an '07 328xi and loves it. I really was prepared to buy a 335xi with a manual, until I drove it. It just didn't feel great to me. I've had 2 S4's previously, so I knew what I was getting into with the B7. High points of the 335: steering and brakes are great, engine is smooth and very responsive, but I really didn't like the feel of the shifter - very vague and rubbery (it turns out I'm having issue with my new S4 - see my post below on this - car's going in tomorrow for linkage adjustment); also, good lease prices. Positives for the S4 - body fit and finish, great interior, much better seats, and the pure grunt of the V8 - can't beat it. It's clearly pricier than the BMW, and the steering is way overboosted, but I think it's a better car, and much less common - which I like, too!

Honestly, I think you can't go wrong with either car. Have fun deciding!! Email me if you want more impressions or want to discuss it.

Phil
Old 12-26-2007, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Went through the same exercise ...

Thanks very much for the quick response and the valuable input. I find it interesting that you list the rarity of the S4 as a positive. That's one of the main benefits of owning a TT and I've really grown to appreciate it. It's also one of the reasons I've been infatuated with the S4 over the years.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i had a 335 for a year and was wanting the V8 back BAD!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default 335 xi after 2 S4's.

I first had an '02 B5 biturbo and then an'05 B6 S4.
Jumped into an '08 335 xi sedan in 10/08 when my S4 lease came close to end.
The beamer feels better in terms of steering / road feel and it clearly feels lighter and more agile. I prefer the steptronic over the tip - much quicker and very smooth. I love the engine and it's a great feel when the turbos kick in with all that torque @ 1400 rpm or so. Chipping is a tempting option unless you are having sleepless nights over warranty issues if something breaks. Gas mileage obviously is better - I enjoy not having to fill up every 200 miles or so. The runflats are clearly a minus but it's not a huge issue so far but people say the roadnoise gets annoying later on. The backseats are spacious enough with kids/ carseats and you would not need the 5 series yet.
The Audis felt better in terms of feeling more "solid" (but also heavier!. It feels more luxurious inside with better leather and materials and better seats. Obviously you get that throaty V8 grunt and the engine is really great. Plus you don't see them everywhere. I could easily see 10 3 series BMWs in 15 minutes on my trip to a local supermarket.
Essentially both are great cars and very comparable.
At the end, pricing was the dealbreaker for me. In order to get a similar equipped car would have been almost $250 more per month in terms of lease payments with same upfront costs.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My pleasure!

Yeah, the rarity of these cars is a real positive. In addition, my B7 is in special order Northern Blue Pearl, probably the only one in the US. Which makes it ultra-rare. Enjoy - the cars are just great.

Another point, we have the Logic7 sound system on my wife's car - the Bose/bluetooth system is much more intuitive and easy to navigate on the Audi - I really don't like the BMW system for that reason (sounds good, but you need to take your eyes off the road to make adjustments, find stations, switch modes, etc.). I'm happy with what I bought!!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Yup

Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion I did on paper. Thanks for the experienced perspective. One question: if you had been able to get another S4 for the same price, would you still have the 335? You and several others have mentioned the steering and road feel of the 335 in contrast to the overall build quality and power of the V8. I'll see for myself in a few hours, but a 15 min. test drive is nothing compared to switching up after owning.

Thanks again.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

I would pick up a slightly used CPO S4 over a new 335 any day. Just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Same price or even closer I would have gotten a beautiful silver B7 Avant.

That's what I was looking for when I tried to return my car. Since the numbers made no sense to me I started looking around and was excited to get the 335. Today I am very happy about the decision but I would never say that the BMW is a better car - just very different with each car having pluses nd minuses.(is there such a thing, pluses and minuses?)
So now you know that essentially you are back to square one with your decision!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default actually you can find one that is pre owned and lease it threw a bank

I have done this with both of my s4 and still are lower than my 335 payment

Quick Reply: Test driving S4 & 335 today