S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Tire pressures after dealer service...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressures after dealer service...

For those that have ever had their tires touched during a dealer service, what tire pressure do they set them at?

After my latest service, last Wednesday, my car has been feeling like it is pulling to the right. I finally remembered to check the tires today and here is what I found.

FR - 30.5
FL - 30.5
RR - 31.5
RL - 35.5

Every time I have picked up my car after the dealer has needed to touch the tires, they come back with the wrong pressure. This is the worst yet.

Is it just me or are others having this same issue? Is it not in the manual? Training? Door jamb??

Eric.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Well, it may not be just you...

But, for the most part, the service departments don't even bother checking pressures. At least, that's been my experience and it's fine with me because I am on top of it.

As to the recommended pressures for the B7, the door jamb says 44/44 while the manual says 44/32 for partial load (3 passengers) and 44/44 for a full load. This is quite a departure from the B6's 39/35 recommended pressures and the car is largely the same. I wonder what got Audi to make such a drastic change.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

niiiice. I was just in for service this week....guess I better check mine!
Old 08-02-2007, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default TPMS to BhvrDr

This is really interesting. I am taking my car to the dealer tomorrow for my 5K maintenance. I will ask them (not a lot of faith that they will have an answer). I am also **** about my tire pressure.
I wonder if it has something to do with the tire pressure monitoring system and differentials in tire pressure. I keep mine at 44/44.
I picked up a sheet metal screw (ruined my brand new tire) recently.
My TPMS warning came on. When I checked the pressures, the leaking tire was down to 33 psi, still within the manual specs. All others, still 44 psi.
This makes me wonder if the TPMS triggers when there is a significant differential.
Audi is a direct TPMS versus indirect.
Indirect clearly works on differentials in psi. I did not think that direct systems did this.
An interesting concern, I hope to solve this.

Perhaps BHVRDR Mike will konow.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if they all leak equally, TPMS won't alert you.

I've had mine get down to 25psi with no alert....all 4 tires were the same pressure. But if one of them is more than a few psi different than the others, it should trigger an alert.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My TPMS works fine. Been tested a couple times...

I think they just think it's an A4 or something and just put all the pressures around 30 to 34 and call it good. It has happened every time even though I have requested the proper pressure when I dropped it off or asked about it on most of my visits.

I'm just absent minded enough to forget to check it before I leave. Which I shouldn't have to do but maybe I'll learn some day.

Got them all set now so hopefully the pull to the right will be gone and this pothole/2 bent rims incident will be mostly behind me.

Eric.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yep, it definitely goes off if you pick up a screw...

I don't know off the top of my head what the differential is that sets it off but I picked up a screw and it went off pretty quick.

Eric.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Huh? This shouldn't be true. You may have a problem.

The system isn't one of those that measure differences in wheel rotation speed, it has a pressure sensor in each wheel. Unless you have an aftermarket system.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I agree with Cob7S4, and add this-

I believe you could start out with 4 brand new tires. Inflate 3 of them to 44 psi and one to 30 psi. Then you reset the system. The system thinks 30 psi is correct and wont do much until it loses some preset percentage of the 30 psi. Same goes for the 3 tires at 44 psi.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default May be true, but with one clarification.

I'm too lazy to go and look, but I recall the manual saying that there is a number of triggers that cause an alert. One is if the pressure drops by a certain amount. Another one is if it goes below a hard floor (which I think is above 30 psi, for my car it seems to happen around 32 psi).

So, if your lower psi tire drops below that hard floor, whatever it is, you should get an alert. Interesting question as to whether it uses the lowest psi tire as the floor for all of them. That would be a dumb design. I hope that's not the case.

Quick Reply: Tire pressures after dealer service...