S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

Track days....

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track days....

Just some curious track day questions for the those who've attended them.....

How many cars usually show up ?
How long is each group usually on the track ?

Are there times when the track is just full and it's hard to utilize the drive ?

Are they're any schools inparticular that limit the amount of drivers / cars there ??

How bout the best So Cal or even Nor Cal school ?

thanks,
kj
Old 03-09-2005, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Track days....

I dont have answers for you, but I've heard good things about the Performance Driving Clinic at Buttonwillow Raceway Park and I'm thinking of going May 1.

http://www.buttonwillowraceway.com/

Check out the schedule; they also have a good motorcycle program if you have one of those too.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:51 AM
Elder Member

Default Depends on track and club.

When I'm at VIR, depending on club and conditions, we can have as many as 60 cars on the track (3.25 mile track) or more. Sometimes, we have less, like 20-30 cars.

Sometimes we have open sessions, where 100 cars will come, and you get on whenever you want, and get off whenever you wish.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Some thoughts...

As was mentioned, it will totally depend on the club. While at Buttonwillow with RacerFactory, there were probably about 75 cars with a group of about 25 cars. You'll usually get 20-30 minutes of track time and quite frankly that's enough for each session as by then your brakes and tires will probably be pretty worked.

Another impact is the quality of the drivers because if it's a club that pretty much turns everyone loose on the track then there will most likely be several offroad excursions and these will start impacting the schedule. RF was like that and it seemed that almost every session someone had to be pulled from the mud. Which amounted to loosing a session for the day. These types of clubs also offer very little in terms of instruction.

You can also see on other forums like socalevo.net where people are trying to get a group of say 35 people together to rent streets of willow for instance. So sometimes the groups can be very small and you'll have quite a bit of track time.

I also ran with the Norcal racing club and while they don't offer a lot of instruction (just a mentor who'll ride with you). They're a good group of people who are skilled, which means few offroad events and a tighter schedule.

I think for the money you'll get your best exposure and instruction at an audi event, but that will also depend on the instructor. You can't go wrong overall IMO, but as you get more laps under the belt you'll begin to see the varying degree of skills among them.

In terms of too many cars...it sometimes happens and becomes frustrating when you're stuck behind a group and can't pass for a while (depending upon the school and passing rules). But I myself find it can get boring after a while when you go lap after lap without someone around. So I like to reel in folks and set them up for a pass. As you progress into more advanced groups this won't be a problem as you'll have people who are skilled and will point you by as well as you'll have more passing zones. Email me if you have any other questions and we can hook up for one of the upcoming track events such as Pahrump or Fernly.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default KJ: I've done many events with the NorCal Audi Club, and...

they have always been well organized. Event numbers are limited, so run groups generally don't exceed 20 cars. On a track like Sears Pt (2.7m) or Laguna Seca (2.3m), that's not too bad, although bunching does occur, especially in the novice groups where passing zones are limited. When you find yourself back in a pack, its best just to pull into the hot pits, chill for a few seconds to let the pack get way ahead, then head out again.
I don't know many (especially ones new to track driving) who have felt let down by either the amount of track time or the ability to drive to the edge of your comfort zone. In a typical two day event, one might accumulate anywhere between 150 - 200 miles of track driving during 8 run sessions (typically about 25 minutes long), depending on speed and conditions. (Although with the Audi Club, newbies spend the first morning doing some classroom and parking lot exercises to get the feel of things before actually running on the track, so that would eliminate 2 run sessions, leaving 6.)
Next NorCal event is March 18 at Laguna Seca. After that is Pahrump in early April, then Reno-Fernley (which I'm gonna do) June 11- 12.

Come on out!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default tuco...did you run Buttonwillow earlier this week?

how was it?
Old 03-10-2005, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey Pal, how ya do'n? Yes I did and here's a writeup of it...

And btw, I'm going to for sure do Fernley so will see you there.

<a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/219116.phtml">clicky</a>
Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Elder Member

Default I love free laps. I get so red misted and frustrated when I'm in trains.

I think a part of it has to do with the club event coordinator not believing in a million years that a station wagon can be driven fast. Bleh. It really pisses me off. The ego's are insane around the track. I KNOW! I've got one! But damn, at least I can give respect where respect is due. I'm not even asking for that much, just a little respect and proper driving techniques. If the car is on your ***, it's faster than you. PERIOD.

Anyways, &lt;/rant&gt;. I love free laps. ;-)

But I understand, it's definitely fun reeling people in.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:00 AM
AJG
AudiWorld Super User

Default In addition to the Audi Club, the BMW Club and TracQuest do a good job

for events at which you want/need instruction. If you don't want/need instruction, you will know of many other options (PDC, etc.).

By the second afternoon at most Tracquest events, you can get virtually unlimited track time with very few other cars. Otherwise, figure 20-30 cars on track at any time for 30 minute sessions with an hour break between each session for 3 run groups and a 90 minute break for 4 run groups.

Andrew
Old 03-10-2005, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Forgot about the BMW club, sayemthree spoke highly of them too.

Quick Reply: Track days....