S4 (B6 & B7 Platforms) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi S4 produced from 2003-2005 And B7 Audi S4 produced from 2005 -2008

UPDATE (long): Weight reduction on the HVAC system...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If this was a real racing car competing in let's say the Speed World Challenge them yes you would...

Be correct in your assessment.

Why do I need heat, well because up here in Canada, early spring and late fall racing can bring you cold rainy days that will require heat and a defrost system.

I have seen too many "ghetto heating/fan" systems that have been installed to try to avoid windshield fogging; I figured that the ~ 10 lb penalty of keeping some OEM components was a good trade off.

Yes If I were rich enough to have a nice tow vehicle and trailer (+50K minimum), I would tow my car to the track but unfortunately I don't and the car as to be driven there. I assume that now takes care of "your pocket book" statement. As for the "examine your head" statement, well that's your opinion and I won't comment on yours!

BTW from going to many track events I have seen a lot of people do the same... Drive their track prepped cars to the track.

What is it you don't understand about this project? Just the heating solution I came up with or the whole car being transformed into my track car? In any case a man is entitled to his toys and this is mine.

You are correct, I am not an engineer and never will, but I have a much better job thank you!

It is so easy to criticize someone isn't it?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Please keep making these excellent posts.

How you choose to mod your car and why is your business. I enjoy seeing the innards of the car as you rip it apart to reduce weight. Keep it up.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "pocketbook comment"

you can pick up a beater truck, a used trailer and a used, more track worthy car, for not much.

Its ok that you are lost in your project, but please, dont let it kill your few remaining brain cells.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

but does he own the car, or is it a lease?
Old 01-27-2008, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Jet...

Keep up the good work. You're the most knowledgeable guy this forum has seen in it's 5 years. Unfortunately, it eventually will cease being appreciated here altogether.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Leased for now but mine in two months. LOL.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

It'd be priceless to see the faces at the dealer if you tried to return the car now!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default so you are ready to get bent over with no lube to buy out the car at the end of the lease?

shouldve waited, saved your pennies and gotten a car that is better suited to track from the get-go.

Also, an Audi as a track car negates your whole money issue IMHO
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I'm relatively new to the Audi world, so I've missed most of your project

Looks pretty good so far! Forgive me if you've answered these questions a million times.

How much weight do you think you've saved so far? And, what is your goal? Are you planning on doing power/brake/suspension mods (if not done already). Also, what motor is in your car? 1.8T? 3.0?

Don't sweat the naysayers. Looks like you have a pretty thick skin.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Another joker! The thin air up there will take care of my brain cells I'm sure...

Beater truck, used trailer used more worthy track car?!

Why do I want to look for trouble in used equipment? Even if you get a decent SUV or pick up truck you are going to spend depending on how old the truck is 20-30K! A used trailer, I have no clue but I'm sure a closed trailer must be in the 5-10K range.

What is up with all you people about using an Audi as a track car? I don't know put Champion racing won two championships with a B5 S4 and then two more with the RS6 against real sports cars at the time. STaSIS considering their very limited budget (no backing from Audi) does pretty darn good too against teams from Acura and Mazda that almost have factory backing.

I don't want a Miata, I don't want a Honda Civic what else can you suggest I get?

I'd like an M3 or a Porsche GT3 but unfortunately like I said before I don't have the cash for those beauties.

Maybe I should save up and get a used B7 RS4 and lighten up the sucker and...

Quick Reply: UPDATE (long): Weight reduction on the HVAC system...